Fox Junkyard/craigslist Motor Vs. Crate Motor

FoxyRoxy91

Oct 19, 2016
I have a 91 gt that i believe threw a rod. My buddies think that I should only buy a crate motor because of the warranty that it comes with. For instance, i could get a crate motor from summit for about 2200. On the other hand i could get a junkyard/craigslist motor for less than 1000 for a good one. The only downside to the junkyard motor is the uncertainty of whether it runs or not. What are some of your opinions on the matter.

PS i will be doing the swap myself.

• Sponsors (?)

What is your goal?
Link to the crate motor? for $2200 that has to be a short block. A decent crate motor is $4-5k without things like intake, injectors, ehaust, etc.

You can get a jy explorer motor for about $400 or so here with GT40 heads and intake. Swap out the cam, springs, water pump, oil pan, exxhaust and other small parts and you can have a 275hp motor for around $1000. Mind you there is no warranty but these motors will go 150 to 200k easy.

You should get a budget and write down all the things you want to do and parts that will need to be replaced. Are you reusing your top end, exhaust, balancer, flywheel, etc? Are you doing a stock replacement or upgrade. We need more info as you essentially walked into a bar and said what drink should I buy.

Reactions: 4 users
What is your goal?
Link to the crate motor? for $2200 that has to be a short block. A decent crate motor is $4-5k without things like intake, injectors, ehaust, etc.

You can get a jy explorer motor for about $400 or so here with GT40 heads and intake. Swap out the cam, springs, water pump, oil pan, exxhaust and other small parts and you can have a 275hp motor for around $1000. Mind you there is no warranty but these motors will go 150 to 200k easy.

You should get a budget and write down all the things you want to do and parts that will need to be replaced. Are you reusing your top end, exhaust, balancer, flywheel, etc? Are you doing a stock replacement or upgrade. We need more info as you essentially walked into a bar and said what drink should I buy.
Best info you are likely to get.

What is your goal?

He's referring to a Summit "Blueprint Series" rebuilt crate engine (loosely defined).
And yes,...it's a long block for 2200.00. w/ a 30 mo/50k mi warranty.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bpf30216c/overview/

And they ship it for free......
I keep tellin you guys,....Summit is your friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
He's referring to a Summit "Blueprint Series" rebuilt crate engine (loosely defined).
And yes,...it's a long block for 2200.00. w/ a 30 mo/50k mi warranty.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bpf30216c/overview/

I keep tellin you guys,....Summit is your friend.
LMR was offering a comparable engine, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
I think the choice would really depend on how mechanically inclined you are. Personally an explorer engine would be my choice. If you aren't comfortable tearing a engine down to its short block to inspect it and put it back together the crate engine you listed isn't a bad price.

In that case start searching for a gt40 set up from a mountaineer / explorer. Swap over the fox specifics and call it a day. They are usually or used to under 500 for the complete engine. Budget another 3-400 for gaskets, water pump, oil pump, etc. In reality you should be in it for around a grand. Sell your old engine after the swap to make up some of the cost.

- Complete 1988 mustang Gt 5.0 engine Excellent condition recent refresh GT40 explorer intake BBK shorty headers $750

The guy said he pulled it last week

Attachments

• 22937.jpeg
    22937.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 171
I think he's high on the price. Problem with Mustang engines is that you have to assume it was run hard. There could be a lot wrong with it that you won't know about until you break it down. Most explorer engines weren't run that hard and you don't see worn rings/ bearings as much.