Just bought a 2003 GT with mid range speaker issues MACH 1000

Cartel

Aug 24, 2009
This car has the mach 1000 in it and the car smells of burnt PCB
I bought it knowing this.
The subs and the tweeters work as far as I know (I will doublecheck both subs tomorrow).
Is there an amp for the midrange somewhere? on that rack?
I suspect a amp somewhere has smoked.
I googled and seen under the deck is an amp not sure which.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    910.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    997.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Sponsors (?)

Well I did the "3 and 6" speaker test and the front only the tweeters have sound, the back shelf seems to be just tweeters and SUB I, I hear nothing and SUB II both the rear 10" subs work.
It seems the lower door speakers and the rear 6x9 are not working.

I assume SUB I is the door and rear mid range?

OK more digging and it looks like the door "woofers" and package tray "woofers" are powered by 2 amps that are bolted to the rear package tray and are not related the the mach 1000 amp rack.
I'll report my findings

Today I crawled into the backseat and trunk and tested the voltage on the amps on the parcel tray which would be the mach 460 amps.
I tested the violet wires for 12v and they were good and I tested the small plug with 3 wires, 1 wire has the 5v and another 6.83 so they all were getting voltage. I tested the green/black for ground and they were good.

So I pulled 1 amp and checked the power choke inside and bingo! loose solder joints.
I sucked the old solder and used some Chip Quik SMD291 rosin paste and soldered them really good.
I report if it worked.

BRB

well I got good news and bad news. good news the amps work and the bad news is the drivers door "woofer" does not work.
Its 90F here so I will troubleshoot more at another time.