Just bought an 89 2.3L notchback. Help me get it going

I just bought an 89 mustang with a 2.3L It is not currently running (missing serp belt and battery) and the guy wanted it gone. I only gave him $200

1) The 5 speed pedal goes to the floor like ther eis nothing hooked up. Is something broke here? What should I be looking for? Is this tranny a T-5?

2) I am going to hit the salvage yards this weekend. After I get a serp belt and battery in it, if it doesn't run (I assume it won't), what should I look for first? Soemoen who is familiar wiht the 2.3 L help me out here, give me some steps.

3) This helps wiht the other two questions.. When I am looking for parts in a slavage yard, what all 2.3L motors are the same as the one in the 89 mustang? Tbird?, Merkur? Ranger? I say Merkur because in the local salvage yard there is an 88 Merkur with a 2.3L and 5 speed. Is this the exact same motor, tranny, and ECU as the mustang I bought? What parts can I rob off of this to fix my motor / tranny.

Any help will be greatly appreciated [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

1) Your clutch cable or dogbone cable is/are broken. The dogbone is the 2" cable that goes from the bellcrank to the clutch fork - get under the car and look at it. And yes, it's a T5.

2) Depends on what you're looking for. Performance? Ranger header and cam is about it...turbo motor otherwise.

3) Do a search, both Google and here. Ranger is the same until the mid 90's, T-bird Turbocoupes and Merkur XR4Ti's have the 2.3T motor, which is desirable because it actually makes some power. :p

Ash

advice from all of us would tell you to take the motor from the merkur. You could make that little $200 car a pretty fast and enjoyable ride. About a grand you could throw that puppy in.

Here are some follow-up questions?

1) I will check the cables wiht the clutch, but someone suggested it might be the "quadrant". I have no idea what this si? Ideas?

2) Yesterday I was at the salvage yard, and they brought in another Merkur complete with a 2.3 L Turbo , automatic. What would I need besides the complete motor, exhaust, and ECU to make this work in the mustang? How do I verify that the turbo on the merkur is not screwed up? There are also another merkur and a turbo coupe in the yard.

Keep in mind I want to get this together in-expensively.......

The quadrant is the thingy on the clutch pedal under the dash that the clutch cable attaches to. Do you get a ratcheting noise when you push the pedal in? Try pulling the pedal up all the way and then gently pushing it in a few times....this works the self-adjusting mechanism and, if that's your problem, should fix it. I'd lean more toward cables, myself.

Ash

Wow, they have three turbo 2.3 cars at your junkyard?! Grab em all if you can! Completely strip out the t-bird, as that car has most of the desirable parts (depending on year). Do you know what year it is? Actually, before I ask more, are you interested in swapping the motors? It doesn't take too much to get it swapped.

Answer me this!!!!!

1) How can I verify that these turbos and motors in the yard are ok?

2) Give me a parts list that would be needed to put this motor in?

3) Anyone interested in buying parts of these cars? Givew me a list, give me a price, I will pull parts and sell to you