Just bought another fox... time for a 351/393 setup! tips wanted!

fords2fast4u

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2000
Mission Viejo, CA
So I just bought the car I've wanted for years now, a 93 cobra. I still have my 94, but an hoping to sell it soon and use that money to build a nice 393 or 408 for the 93 car.

I already have a set of used victor jrs and some 1.6 RRs. I think i want to stay EFI.

Goal: mid 400 FWHP to put on boost or N2o later... probably boost.

Questions:
Will I need a 7qt pan, or will the FMS pan work with a girdle and my goal of mid 500's to the groud?

I'm thinking I'll want a hyd. roller cam, in the .566-.577 range? I think Comp has a kit for 750 that has rollers, pushrods, timing gear, springs and retainers?

I'll need an all forged assembly? with main cap girdle? 9.5/1 compression...?

will a edelbrok RPM work, or do i need a victor or TFS R?

I'm thinking long tubes, friend suggest ceramic for heat reduction...

Somewhere in the range of 30-42lb injectors with a 80mm MAF and 75mm TB w/ a chip tune.

anyone with a similar setup pushing their car in the mid 10's?

I did a quick search, but bascially I'm trying to get a solid parts list down to start buying up before i do this work in about a month. I passed on a edelbrock intake today b/c i'm thinking that I'll need a least a RPM or larger to feed vic jrs and 393 cubes.

any advice on helping me towards my goal would be appriciated. thanks!:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm considering it b/c i think i can make more power with less money... but i just don't know if i want to do that.

I've got the money to do EFI, so why not? The car will be driven on the street, have A/C etc. so i think EFI is the way to go.

anyone else?

I'm about to buy a TFS R intake for a 351W commiting me to the 408 build!

So that makes TFS R intake, Victor Jr heads and 1.6 RRs so far...

I'm gathering parts, but still need some more guidance. Anybody have an opinion or experience here?

fairlane, don't worry about that! This car has 205K miles on the original motor, so it needs to be rebuilt anyways. And it has a tremec and a new rear end with a few other mods and needs paint, seats and carpet... so its far from those you see with 20K miles going for $15k on eBay.

I knew that i'd want to mod it, so i went looking for a cobra that was either already moddified, wrecked, or needed alot of resto work. I think i found the perfect car for what i want to do with it.

thanks BK, I'll check it out!

I'm considering it b/c i think i can make more power with less money... but i just don't know if i want to do that.

I've got the money to do EFI, so why not? The car will be driven on the street, have A/C etc. so i think EFI is the way to go.

anyone else?

If you can afford it, why not? My argument has always been value based but if money is no problem then go for it.

I would recommend a tubular K member if you can swing it...it'll make header clearance a walk in the park and drop the engine down a bit to help with hood clearance.

not sure of the number off the top of my head. But I'll be sure to hit that up when i get home in three weeks.

Um, well I've always worked with EFI, and I've gotten some great MPG from them (used to get 20-21 mpg in my 94 cobra). So i think in the long run its better to do EFI than carb. Plus no issues with starting cold.

I've just never done carb and have no real desire to go that route. Plus i just bought a TFS R intake for a good deal... so I'm commited now.

very interesting setup. but as i said, already got the TFS R EFI...

the decisons that I'm running into are how to build this now to be able to afford it (engine costs under $4000-4500) and still be able to make improvements later (port heads, ad a power adder)

because if put in the wrong compression ratio or cam to make more power now, i'll be limiting my options later.

the simple answer would be to do it the way i want it the first time, but i have the time to build this now, and won't have time to do major week(s)-long jobs later. So I'm planning on building the bottom end and rest of the car to take 600HP with a motor that'll only push 450. then i can go back and build on that if i have time, money later.

thanks for the words so far!:SNSign: