just curious, how many BBF engine swaps?

grumpyvette

Oct 10, 2008
IM just curious how many guys have installed BIG BLOCK FORD ENGINES in thier mustangs, its not all that rare to install BIG BLOCK chevy engines in chevys so I figured its probably not totally un-heard of in fords either

• Sponsors (?)

with the shock towers in, its a squeeze, but it can be done.

I've heard that they had to change the angle on the 428CJ valve covers so you could get at them..? can anyone give this validity?

I've got a good friend with a 390 in a 67 coupe, and I know my mechanics put a 428CJ in a 68 coupe, but man they're tight.

BUT! if you go to a mustang II front suspension, those shock towers can come out and then you have all sorts of room!

OBTW, welcome to stangnet! :flag:

thanks!
BTW,Ive worked on plenty of the older mustangs and knew about the shock tower issues, but the early novas have the same issues and the chevy guys have "work arounds" for that too.

thanks!
BTW,Ive worked on plenty of the older mustangs and knew about the shock tower issues, but the early novas have the same issues and the chevy guys have "work arounds" for that too.

if you really want to, its possible to notch the towers...but that can go bad....

if you don't mind me asking, what's rolling though your head? did you just get a classic?

Talked to a guy last week who had just finished putting a 454 into a 65 coupe. He bought the coupe with a MII front end and no engine. Had a 454 sitting around and decided they were meant for each other. He claims it handled o.k.

Not a BBF but a BB swap none the less. Probably an easier swap than a 4.6 DOHC.

buffed006.jpg

buffed005.jpg

buffed004.jpg

buffed009.jpg

Attachments

• buffed006.jpg
    buffed006.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 490
  • buffed005.jpg
    buffed005.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 196
  • buffed004.jpg
    buffed004.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 204
  • buffed009.jpg
    buffed009.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 115
if you really want to, its possible to notch the towers...but that can go bad....

if you don't mind me asking, what's rolling though your head? did you just get a classic?

Ive got a friend with a ratty 1967 mustang, that hes slowly rebuilding, whos got both a 390 ford engine from some full size ford, and a 460 from a 1970 t-bird thats got some work done to it, that he wants to install, in place of the current non-functioning SBF 260 or 289 thats in sad shape, Ive done lots of engine swaps in the past, but not that particular one......just contemplating options:nice:

My '70 handles a LOT crappier with the big, heavy 302 I swapped in there in place of the original 250 straight six. If your buddy likes to do more than straight lines a stout small block might be more street fun. The unibody might also survive a lot longer.

2 cents. :)

He bought the coupe with a MII front end and no engine.
Not a BBF but a BB swap none the less. Probably an easier swap than a 4.6 DOHC.
Interesting, as I just got an email about Heidts requesting a 62-65 Fairlane and 66-67 Fairlane for Mustang II crossmember testing. Are there aftermarket ones already available? I'd really like a 4.6 in my car..."daily driver friendly"

Ive got a friend with a ratty 1967 mustang, that hes slowly rebuilding, whos got both a 390 ford engine from some full size ford, and a 460 from a 1970 t-bird thats got some work done to it, that he wants to install, in place of the current non-functioning SBF 260 or 289 thats in sad shape, Ive done lots of engine swaps in the past, but not that particular one......just contemplating options:nice:

:nice:

i know that jay almost....couldn't......put headers on his 390.... but thats about it...and even that you could probably get around with the right set of headers, motor mounts etc.

my $.02 on the big block....sure its nice to say HEY! i've got a BBF in there. but, can you really EFFECTIVELY use all of that power? there's only so much that it can dish out before the wheels start spinning. so is the added weight of the BB really worth the "unusable" power? This and the fact that some guys are squeezing 1000HP (yes thats 3 zeros) out of a 302 :eek: getting a round 400-500 out of a 351 isn't that unfeasible.

lol, but still....a BB just looks wicked :flag:

take some pictures along the way, whatever your decision, and keep us posted!

Don't do a BB swap if you think that's going to be cheaper than a stroker small block, cause it won't. The 390 can be done with all factory parts, but the parts are pricey. Ditto for the 429/460 based swap. A stroker Windsor or Cleveland will bolt right in place of the 280. With the Cleveland, you've basically got a BB Chevy swap without the problems, just a few less cubic inches.

I've heard that they had to change the angle on the 428CJ valve covers so you could get at them..? can anyone give this validity?:

Not true. The 390 was planted in the 67's (and before then in the 66 Fairlane--same basic dimensions) and when the 428CJ came along in 68, they used the same chromed "Powered By Ford" valve covers the GT390 used. The Aluminum CJ covers didn't come out till 69.