just curious..

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Im in a couple months when I get the funds, going to probably buy a 99, 01 cobra. Im all 5.0 minded, and I dont know a whole lot about how the 4v acts towards mods, but IF I get one, it will have the following: some hefty camshafts, cai, shifter, longtubes, exhaust all the way blah, bigger tb, maybe some head porting, and intake work, basically a full bolt on 4v, with cams and head work. I dont know which cams at the moment. But how would it react to these mods? I know a 96-98 kewbra will flat boogie with just bolt-ons.
I know a well modded 302 will put 300-310rwhp, and around 320-330 hp at the tires, but Ive never heard a whole lot of n/a 4v cars being dyno'd? Ive seen maybe 2-3 graphs and thats it, educate me plz...

my buddys car put down 280-300 with no tune and a pi swap 96 gt, with ported heads and comp cams, so im guessing a 4v would do a little more than that, and 1000 more revs..

thanks for the future help!!

josh

• Sponsors (?)

well you think a 96-98 cobra responds well to bolt ons, you should see an 03/04 cobra :nice:

As for swapping out cams...the 4v modular motor isn't as easy as your old 5.0 to just start ripping apart. if you're a tech/mechanic thats one thing but if you're a back yard do it yourselfer, you might want to read up on it. Its a tiny bit more complicated.

How much money are you looking to spend? Idealy i'd say get a 99+ cobra. If you have the cash, obviously go with a 2003/2004 cobra (supercharged stock). If you're short on funds a 96-98 cobra wouldn't be a bad choice but for 8-9k you can get a nice 99 cobra and for maybe around 11k a 2001 cobra.

A Cobra will always beat out a GT in more ways than one. the engine is better, it responds to mods better, its a smaller custom production line, they hold their value better and nothing says mustang like an SVT Cobra :)

goodluck shoppin bud.

oh yeah, I know all too well what an 03-04 cobra will do with just an exhaust and a cai!! but im going to look until I find the right one to mod (it has to be black) maybe a vert. But thanks for the info, it will be another 4-5 months before I get it all together to buy it, I find paying the man in cash is alot better when buying hot-rods lol...

thanks josh