Just got a Stang Already a problem

gdiddy69 x

Mar 2, 2006
My buddy just got a older mustang II. its got a rebuilt 302 but it wont crank unless we pour gas in the carb. I changed the fuel filter and i took off the mechanical fuel pump and cleaned off what best i could. It tryes to crank but it still wont. any suggestions ?

• Sponsors (?)

gdiddy69 x said:
My buddy just got a older mustang II. its got a rebuilt 302 but it wont crank unless we pour gas in the carb. I changed the fuel filter and i took off the mechanical fuel pump and cleaned off what best i could. It tryes to crank but it still wont. any suggestions ?

First off, why would putting gas in make it crank??? When you say it will not crank, you mean turn over?? right ?? Now on the other hand, if it will not Start!! that is something else. You only need 3 things to fire up. (1) gas/fuel (2) compression / al the very least 60lbs (3) spark !!! of course the spark needs to be timed correctly. Check for these things and I will bet you find your problem

We start old cars all the time by pouring gas down the carb. It essentially primes the engine. If the car won't run at all without pouring gas down the carb AND it ran fine when it was parked then I'm 99% sure your fuel pump is bad. The easiest thing to do is simply unhook the line running into the carb and turn the engine over... if gas comes out then it isn't your fuel pump. The fuel pump essentially uses a thin diaphragm to pump gas. After sitting for a long time this diaphragm dries out and busts. Once it does this it won't pump anything. If you replace the fuel pump and it still doesn't work then it is probably your timing. When you checked the fuel filter was there lots of trash in it? When you checked the fuel pump was there any gas that poured out of the supply line?

d

gdiddy69 x said:

First, I started laughing when I clicked on the link, already a problem?? LMAO! Some think these cars were born a problem. They may be right.

Second , I'm wondering what magic pouring gas in the carb would make the starter turn.

I see your tyro. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone starts somewhere. And since your just starting out now is the time to learn that to communicate effectively you need to get your terms straight. Not cranking means there is something wrong with the starter circuit but what you have written seems to indicate there is something wrong with the fuel system.

Two completely different problems and we could write volumes on both or either.

FIRST THING YOU NEED TO KNOW: Priming the engine (pouring fuel down the carb) is oftenly needed , you don't want to do it too many times unless you can keepo the engine running for a substantial amount of time. Pouring fuel straight into the carb tends to wash the cyllinders and rings of oil leading to scoring and ring breakage. :nonono: Continued priming without success in keeping the running is one way to ruin the worlds best rebuild.

Chances are the fuel tank pickup is plugged.

If not the fuel pump could be blown, the rebuilder could have left the eccentric off the cam, or there could be scuzz in the carb.