Just got new wheels, which tires should I get?

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
I just purchased some 01 Cobra wheels for my 96 GT. Which tires, size, rating, should I get? It's a daily driver, have never gone to the track and needs to be a good all-around tire? What should I stay away from? What is a good tire?

• Sponsors (?)

I went withthe BFG KD's. They are built and rated for dry weather so they have very good traction for acceleration on dry surfaces. They are not rated for wet or snow but they have startling traction in those conditions as well. I live in Northern Virginia so we don't see crazy snow like someplaces but for my needs, they work great.

**edit** They are directional tires so you would have to order 2 lefts and 2 rights. For more of a "rotatable" tire that is rated all weather, look at the KDWS's. They are cheaper too! Around $115 each at tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfg/bfg.jsp

Bo

DC-GT said:
I went withthe BFG KD's. They are built and rated for dry weather so they have very good traction for acceleration on dry surfaces. They are not rated for wet or snow but they have startling traction in those conditions as well. I live in Northern Virginia so we don't see crazy snow like someplaces but for my needs, they work great.

**edit** They are directional tires so you would have to order 2 lefts and 2 rights. For more of a "rotatable" tire that is rated all weather, look at the KDWS's. They are cheaper too! Around $115 each at tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfg/bfg.jsp

Bo
I ended up picking up a Defender ZR4 or something like that. That was the only tire they had in stock that was Z-rated and all-season. They didn't have the KDWSs in stock, which is what i had on before. I got 245/45/17s.

My Sumitomo HTRZ 2's were less than $115 each and are GREAT tires. They're quiet, stick like glue, track well, have great turn-in, and provide a nice ride too.

Love em for the money. And they look very aggressive too.

For like 119 a tire I got the Yokohama AVS ES 100's for my rear.. noticable better than the slightly cheaper kumho, look great, stick REALLY well for the money.
219150_60_full.jpg

245/45/17

GToddyT5 said:
I just purchased some 01 Cobra wheels for my 96 GT. Which tires, size, rating, should I get? It's a daily driver, have never gone to the track and needs to be a good all-around tire? What should I stay away from? What is a good tire?

I have been reading extensively about tires. I have stock tires and they are fine, for now, on my Mustang GT, ,2003, but here's what I've found out so far. I have 3 main sources for my research...

1. Stangnet...both reviews and posts.
2. Tirerack.com: User reviews.
3. Consumerreports.org: Ultra-high performance tire ratings (11/03).

I recommend a look at the last two for some good comparisons.

Consumerreports.org rates on a total score based on Wet/dry braking, handling, cornering and hydroplaning. If you don't care about wet performance(most people really probably don't), then the total score is irrelevant because the 'wet characteristics' greatly affect the total score. Still, they have good, objective ratings. By far the best, they say, is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. The price they quote is great. I'm on the verge of deciding to purchase them after another few K. Sumitomo HTRZ II is last on the list, but that's because it's wet characterstics scores are lower. I think most people are pretty satisfied with it, from what I've been reading on Stangnet.com.

One thing you may or may not care about it the treadwear rating. For the most part, though, all of the ultra-performance treadwear is relatively low. Another factor is the speed rating. I'm gunning for the highest speed rating, of which Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 and Sumitomo HTRII are both Y rated, 186MPH. I will be gunning for a very high top speed(for bragging rights), once I get my supercharger.

Tirerack.com has very good information. The prices are cut-rate, much lower than you'll really pay if you go to a retail, full service tire shop, but look at all the rating categories, and comparison methods. It's a real wealth of information.

According to Consumerreports.org, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 is so much better than the Sumitomo HTRII and most others in the category. the Eagle F1 is $135 and the Sumitomo HTRII is only $120. Granted, if you get a deal on the Sumtomo, it might be worth it, but you can get the best for a good price.

The tirerack.com survey results are much more comprehensive than what you see on Stangnet. Have a look :nice:

-Andy