Just Went to the Track - Gears are Great!

Reed

Mar 31, 2005
BC, Canada
Yeah it's another one of those "I just went to the track." threads but I figured I'd share my results for anyone who cares. I was out at Mission tonight with my dad and a friend. Since I had been there last I have added 3:73s, FRPP Shorty Headers and rebuilt my Trac-Lok. I have street tires, I remove my panel air filter and lower the rear tire pressure to around 26 psi. I ran a previous best of 15.631 @ 89.38 MPH

First Run: (with passenger)
60': 2.394
ET: 15.206

Second Run: (with passenger goofed up launch)
60': 2.680
ET: 15.564 @ 92.08 MPH

Third Run: (alone)
60': 2.364
ET: 14.890 @ 93.49 MPH

Fourth Run: (alone)
60': 2.508
ET: 15.126 @ 93.11

I know that I basically cannot drive, haha, and that my 60' times are just killing me. I still haven't mastered launching, even with the auto. On the two worst runs, I loaded the torque converter and all it seemed to do was spin the tires when I mased the gas. Anyway, when my worst time is better than my previous best, I'm pretty happy. Think the headers helped me at all? I wasn't expecting them to. I also wonder if my springs are hurting the weight transfer significantly. Thanks for reading!

• Sponsors (?)

Reed said:
Since I had been there last I have added 3:73s, FRPP Shorty Headers and rebuilt my Trac-Lok. I have street tires, I remove my panel air filter and lower the rear tire pressure to around 26 psi.

wait...are you running no air filter?? i've never heard of this, i thought that was a bad thing to do? also for street tires i thought you should leave the tire pressure as is ~35psi? maybe "slightly" lower?

i've been told for every .1 you cut off your 60' time it roughly equals .15-.2 off of your overall ET. work on the launch and get that 60' down and you've got a low-mid 14 second car easy imo. Maybe a set of drag radials? try launching off idle also? i have a 5speed but still managed to pull off a few 2.0s when i was on street tires. It takes practice, trying different things. Just trial and error till you get the hang of it. just have fun! but yeah mph seems loooooow.

edit: damm nice lookin car :nice:

Id never remove my filter.

As for the tire pressure, for street tires around 25-28 would be best, just spin the tires to get any gravel or dirt off, no burnout necessary, and every .1 i get off my 60' equals .3 off my et, for me

93GTosu said:
wait...are you running no air filter?? i've never heard of this, i thought that was a bad thing to do? also for street tires i thought you should leave the tire pressure as is ~35psi? maybe "slightly" lower?
edit: damm nice lookin car :nice:

Yeah, I don't know. The first couple times I went to the track my dad said I should try taking it out, so I did and at the time it seemed to help. (My ETs actually dropped) In reality I don't know if it makes that much of a difference and it's obviously safer to keep it in, but so far no problems. As for the tire pressure, I did my first run with 30 psi which is what I run on the street with, then I dropped to 26 psi and it does seem to help a bit. All in all, the tire pressure and air filter are probably negligable. I did launch off idle also for my two better runs, that seems to help. Loading the torque converter (even at as low as 1200) just spins my tires and I seem to have trouble easing into a mash the gas instead of just mashing the gas.

Thanks for the compliment and the feedback (mob as well) I just need a lot more practice I guess, because there is always 3 to 6 tenths I can cut off my 60's. I know that would help at the end there.

One question, why does the MPH seem low? I was happy to gain MPH over my previous best.

For your car the mph dosent seem low, stocl motor and aod, its good you gained mph. But the same car with a 5spd would probably trap around 97mph, id either start saving some money to build the aod, or get a t5

Id be very satisfied with your times though, 14.8 for a stock 5.0 AOD is good.

EDIT: just saw the pic of your car, SEXY!

I ran a 15.2 at 92.76 with 3.08 gears and (One wheel wonder crap trac-loc) with the T5.

15.2.jpg

With most of this stuff, minus 3.73s and Subframes

Modlist-GT.jpg

Im guessing being a vert slowed you down? lol, i guess I was wrong, different for every car and driver i guess, my car bone stock with a catback, and o/r hpipe oh and the bcam, on street tires and 3.08's was trapping 97mph with a 14.2, the 3.73's dropped me to 13.8 and 98mph, still on street tires.

mob said:
Im guessing being a vert slowed you down? lol, i guess I was wrong, different for every car and driver i guess, my car bone stock with a catback, and o/r hpipe oh and the bcam, on street tires and 3.08's was trapping 97mph with a 14.2, the 3.73's dropped me to 13.8 and 98mph, still on street tires.

I guess weight was an issue, but the one wheel peel wouldn't let me launch higher than 2,000~2,100 after that it would just boil over... :(

Plus that was my first time out, and I sucked, I probably still suck, but I need to get back out there and see if I can do better.

But now with the Trac-Loc rebuilt, 3.73 gears, and subframes I should be in the 14s for sure.

Could the 70mm TB/EGR Spacer be hurting low end grunt enough that I should use the stock TB at the track?

mob said:
Id be very satisfied with your times though, 14.8 for a stock 5.0 AOD is good.

Haha, thanks, sounds good to me. Next year I'm thinking I will go with some sort of 5-speed since I'm planning on doing some engine work.

mob said:
my car bone stock with a catback, and o/r hpipe oh and the bcam, on street tires and 3.08's was trapping 97mph with a 14.2

14.2s? I'd love to be down there, though I'm sure the H pipe and cam helped you out there quite a bit. I was hoping to run at least two high 14s to be sure, but I'll have to wait until next year.

HENCEFORWARD said:
Plus that was my first time out, and I sucked, I probably still suck, but I need to get back out there and see if I can do better.

But now with the Trac-Loc rebuilt, 3.73 gears, and subframes I should be in the 14s for sure.

Sounds good for a first time out, I think I ran a 16.2 my first time out. If the 3:73s and Trac-Lok help you out as much as they helped me out you'll be in the 14s without trying. (PS Have you bought your tickets to the Amalie Texas Oil Nationals?)

first time out with bone stock motor, o/r H, tri ax shifter, and gears ran a [email protected] MOH with a 2.3x 60 ft so for my weight I think I can get it down a bit, plus it was so damn hot out, like 95 degrees, but a local forum is hosting a track rental day after Thanksgiving so maybe the cooler air will help alot.

Reed nice car and those times aren't too bad! Some drag radials and weight reduction could definately get you close to low 14s