K member question

junkyardwarrior

Jan 10, 2011
1993 LX, 2.3 car. Same K member as the 79-86 V8. Narrower pick up points than 87-93 V8

Anyone ever put SN95 lower control arms on these K members? Looking at doing a SN95 brake swap, just don't really feel like swapping the K-member. I have some SN95 control arms out back, though.

I have a 94 rear end going under it as well. 8.8 out of a GT.

Have a set of 05+ bullitt wheels/tires in 17x8 that I would like to use on it, if possible.

Any issues you see with doing this?

• Sponsors (?)

I did my swap years ago...
But, I recall just about every 'generation' needed different backspacing on the wheels.

What is the backspacing on the wheels you have?

I think I have 95 control arms in the front, and 95 8.8 in the rear of my 1990 GT.
I think the 95 control arms move the wheels outboard more than the stock 1990 ctrl arm?
I do know, the backspacing on my front wheels, is not the same as my back wheels.
My wheels are 17x9, 255 in front 275 in back. They barely clear, and sometimes rub.
I may have more details in some old threads here, maybe I can dig up later...
We used to have a sticky on the brake swap options?

edit; just realizing that didn't really answer a single question, lol

edit: edit:
Someone quoted my old signature... this is all the info I have on my current setup...
"17x9 Cobras / Front 255s / Rear 275s / 5 Lug Cobra Disc Conversion / Auburn Ltd. Slip / 3.27 / 31 spline axles / Panhard Rod / Upr&Lwr Control Arms"

Probably still doesn't help much...

Last edited:
Sn95 control arms will work with a 4 banger k member. You may need caster camber plates to get the camber correct. People do this to the early 80s fixes to fit wider wheels...87 to 93 K will push the wheels out if the fender about 1/2 inch per side.

I have a 90 GT. I moved the my lower control arms in 0.75" as per the modified K member in the Mathis Performance Handbook 2. I tried some SN95 QA1 tubular lower arms with a spindle from a 2000. My rims were 16x8 with an 8mm or 0mm offset (I don't remember off the top of my head). My rims stuck out too far as seen here...

IMG_1063.JPG

So I went back to a fox length arm - no other changes.

IMG_1448.JPG

1993 LX, 2.3 car. Same K member as the 79-86 V8. Narrower pick up points than 87-93 V8

Anyone ever put SN95 lower control arms on these K members? Looking at doing a SN95 brake swap, just don't really feel like swapping the K-member. I have some SN95 control arms out back, though.

I have a 94 rear end going under it as well. 8.8 out of a GT.

Have a set of 05+ bullitt wheels/tires in 17x8 that I would like to use on it, if possible.

Any issues you see with doing this?
2.3L K-Member is essentially the same as 79-86, so whatever works with those cars will work with your 2.3L.

With that said, highly recommend reading this tech article from MM...

K-Member comparison

The rims I have are 07 Bullitt's, 17x8 w/ 45mm offset as I recall. I don' tknow what the backspacing is, never did measure. They say 45mm right on the back of the rim. IIRC the 98 cobras (on the other car) are 30mm offset

I can always use the 98 Cobra's off of the other car if needed, but would rather not.

The bullitt's have 245/45/17 tires on them, they appear to be brand new (I don't remember, I bought them like 10 or so years ago and just had new rubber put on recently).

The one thing I am not sure of is if I use the springs that are on it already, with SN95 control arms, I think with the longer arms, it'll lower the car--and it's already pretty low. Anyone confirm?