Keep my engine Old Ford Blue or.....

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
.....something else?

I want to do something different since it actually a little off from the original Corporate Blue. The heads, intake, water pump, and timing cover will all be bare aluminum with wrinkle black valvecovers. The only thing that will be painted is the block

Anyway, I was looking through a pile of pictures on my comp and got a wild hair........how about gold? I saw this and wondered how it might look on a smallblock:

427sohc.jpg

Attachments

• 427sohc.jpg
    427sohc.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm undecided on the exterior color, but I was leaning toward Wimbledon white or a Titus Trans-Am look-alike. I'm not real worried how the engine will match it, though. I'm more concerned with how it looks in a black engine bay.

I noticed that pre 1966 had black blocks and heads and everything after was blue. I want to do everything like it came out of the late '60s, be different, and not end up hating the result. Maybe I'll have to get a couple cans of paint and do testing on my other junk 302...

YellowMach69 said:
gold? yuk ,thats an Oldsmobile color :notnice:

and in 64/65 the blocks were black and the valve covers and air cleaner were GOLD lol. (not to mention that picture with the gold motor is a Ford Flathead V8 lol)

Personally, I say paint everything black that you cant buy in chrome, then buy the chrome stuff and put it on there, that would look pretty sweet.

65fastback2+2 said:
and in 64/65 the blocks were black and the valve covers and air cleaner were GOLD lol. (not to mention that picture with the gold motor is a Ford Flathead V8 lol)

Personally, I say paint everything black that you cant buy in chrome, then buy the chrome stuff and put it on there, that would look pretty sweet.
I know i can see that, But Is his the engine in the picture? lmao..no ,Always paint what is originally in car unless your doing a restomod,At least thats how i feel !! :nice: :rlaugh: :banana:

65fastback2+2 said:

You're right on the gold engine accessories, but that is not a flathead. All the valvetrain is in the heads, if you know what I mean.

Also, this IS a restomod project and it will have modern parts, but I want to keep the vintage performance appearance. Obviously someone painted that SOHC 427 gold, but was it Ford? Did they do it to any others? Did any 60s Ford race teams(or independent teams that raced Fords) use that color? Or am I spinning my wheels on something that was a prototype one-off and not worth copying?

Theoretically, black is the most efficient color at rejecting heat, but I doubt that you could actually tell the difference performance wise o this application.

What color exterior on your car? I personally think that exterior color schemes extended to the engine and enginebay look extremely cool. There is a guy with a '65 or '66 coupe that posts here occasionally that has a yellow paint exterior and he's painted the engine yellow to match with some black accents. The car is awesome. If you hate yellow this will make you think about it, if you like yellow you will love this car. I tried searching for him on here to get the link to his website, but had no luck. :mad:

I have never been a big fan of painting blocks or even Mustang engine bays to match the exterior. I have seen yellow and I hate it.

Also, if you plan on driving it a bunch, light colors show dirt like crazy and can look like crap unless you are really on top of it.

Just one dude's opinion...

I like the idea of black. Doesn't show leaks, besides, you don't see much of the block anyway.

I plan on painting my enigine compartment on my '63 Fairlane the body color, which is Corinthian White. And I'm leaning towards painting the block Dove Grey. It'll be a drag only car and I want to know of any problems, plus it'll be easier to see and work on at night at the races (hopefully I won't have to).