kennebell 2.2 or a twin turbo

saleen556

Dec 2, 2003
Hillsboro,OR
Just like the title says.Which would be more fun for a street car and some track time?I have been planning on the KB but they are coming out with some good turbo kits for the 4.6.I haven't driven a car with a turbo so i am not sure how they feel.I may be getting one sooner than planned.

• Sponsors (?)

saleen556 said:
Just like the title says.Which would be more fun for a street car and some track time?I have been planning on the KB but they are coming out with some good turbo kits for the 4.6.I haven't driven a car with a turbo so i am not sure how they feel.I may be getting one sooner than planned.

For a fun street car I would say KB because of the instant boost. For a better drag car I would say the TT's. Either way you go I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

In my opinion I would go with the TT. The TT makes a broader powerband and more low end power as compared to the S/C. However, if your going for a showoff/display factor.... there's no beating that s/c whine :banana:

I am thinking i can do the motor,trans and rearend for 20k give or take 1 or 2k.This is my second saleen and i think they look badass.Just want to make sure i have more than enough power.I have a friend with an 04zo6 and another who is planning on getting a ferrari.I just want to be faster.We are all competitive with each other and been friends for over 20 years.

if your willing to spend it go with the TT, i don't know much abou the kits, but **** they seem limetless with the power options, and while the blower whine is awsome, so isn't a blow off valve :). with the TT i think you will have to do a new front k member which will help make up for some of the added weight of the TT setup.

Hmm, depends on what you want...with TTs you can get some insane power lvs (im getting TTs) but A. your car will prolly sound like crap (thats what I dont like) B. there will be some lag and you will hit full boost around 3500RPMs. C. you could achieve 700RWHP with heads and cams(need stg 2 at least though)...easy 600 with probably 0 work on the heads (prolly again stg 2)..... KB would be insanely fun on the street, INSTANT power....A. can peg 20PSI at like 2500RPMs in under a second LOL...yea INSTANT power. B. awsome blower whine C. many have a ton of belt slip after 18-19 PSI. D. GI Joe runs 10.0s with his KB. Your car already has a roots blower on it, if you through on a KB it would be a simple almost direct replacement, but with either you need a better lowend. You wont need a whole lot to beat those guys. KB will run about $5500...TTs will run 6200 just for stg 1, if you want stg 2 you will spend about $6700. The reason i am going with them is so i dont have to run so much boost to have alot of power on my stock SB. Otherwise I would prolly go with a centri setup if I was already built due to costs...4K vs 6K.

KB is loads of fun on the street.
605 rwh / 562 tq.
550 tq at 3500.
560 from 4000 - 5500.
510 at 6400....

Insant boost. Looks great. Great wine.

I thought about TT for a few seconds. Engine bay looks stock. No bling.
Sound was hidden by loud waste gate sounds.
Not many out there.

Shop has done 20+ KB's . 0 Turbos...

Turbo would probably beat the KB at the track.. (No fall off of HP at top end).

Mach428 said:
In my opinion I would go with the TT. The TT makes a broader powerband and more low end power as compared to the S/C. However, if your going for a showoff/display factor.... there's no beating that s/c whine :banana:
its amazing just how little you know, as this statement is completly wrong.

As a rule a s/c will produce a much broader power band than a turbo, the more you tune a turbo the higher up the rpms the power band will also go.

As for drag racing, well if turbo's are so good how come top fuelers use superchargers?

Race track and rally cars (with an anti lag system) will produce more power with a turbo.

for most of the time for most uses a supercharger will perform better than a turbo.

To the original poster, how much power do you want and how much money?

The regualr 1.7 KB will easily take you to 500rwhp but you'll need a built motor for it and is capable of near 700rwhp.

The 2.2 according to KB is only really suitable as a race option, it will require a fully built motor and car but you could see 700-900rwhp from it

A good turbo will see similar numbers, but to gain the bigger power outputs and retain driveability and reliabilty will cost you a lot more.

KB reckon the stock block with stock internals should be ok for 400rwhp, thats a 1.7 blower @ 9psi and a potentially mid low 12second car.

saleen556 said:
I am trying to get into the 10's so i don't think the 1.7 kb will do.This won't be a dd but i will still have to pass deq to keep tags on it.
10's, well in that case a turbo or high end s/c is the route to go maybe even with a little nitruos for good measure.

Getting the power needed from the 4.6 using FI shouldn't be too difficult, but getting it to last will.

Either setup will require a full forged and built motor, probably 8.9:1 CR for the s/c and a fair bit lower for a turbo.

The rest of the car will probably need looking at too, transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes, and chassis. Also better cooling probably wouldn't go a mis either and an oil cooler. And I guess if you're going to this level you might as well add a roll cage in there too in the interests of safety.

I suppose a cheaper option might be to by a fast sports/super bike, as they will run 10's out of the box.

300bhp/ton said:
its amazing just how little you know, as this statement is completly wrong.

As a rule a s/c will produce a much broader power band than a turbo, the more you tune a turbo the higher up the rpms the power band will also go.

As for drag racing, well if turbo's are so good how come top fuelers use superchargers?

Race track and rally cars (with an anti lag system) will produce more power with a turbo.

for most of the time for most uses a supercharger will perform better than a turbo.

To the original poster, how much power do you want and how much money?

The regualr 1.7 KB will easily take you to 500rwhp but you'll need a built motor for it and is capable of near 700rwhp.

The 2.2 according to KB is only really suitable as a race option, it will require a fully built motor and car but you could see 700-900rwhp from it

A good turbo will see similar numbers, but to gain the bigger power outputs and retain driveability and reliabilty will cost you a lot more.

KB reckon the stock block with stock internals should be ok for 400rwhp, thats a 1.7 blower @ 9psi and a potentially mid low 12second car.

Well they use the roots or whatever (TS..prolly) due to the instant power they produce....if you notice, they come off the line at idle....and if they were to rev, the tires would simply blow off...and the twin turbos would have to be SO big, the lag time would be INSANE, and they would have to start revving about 5 seconds before they stage LOL, then all that power hitting would simply blow the tires off....not to mention a 1 run per time TS will be MUCH more consistent than a high powered turbo....also they cant get the air in them like the S/C can, 300MPH wind ramming right into the huge scoop = even more power than normal.

2.2l. the turbo is already expensive. plus you will need an intake if you alread have the saleen SC.

that pushes the cost of the TT up even higher.

Install will be easier on a 2.2l as well. I mean 550-600 hp on a streat car is more than plenty IMO. not sure what the power pontential on stock heads is with a 2.2l I am asuming in that range. that will create all kinds of traction problems for you as it is.