Kids enjoying the car experience seating

geostang351

Mar 30, 2005
Danb., CT
My kids have finally gotten past the "Car too Loud" for them and have realized that it is fun to drive in my car (I have 2 chamber flowmasters). The wife wants to be able to go out in the car together with the kids. What do you guys have set up for the child restraints in the rear of the car with seat belts and car seat set ups? :shrug: The kids are 4 and 6 yrs old.

• Sponsors (?)

I put belts in the back of a convertible...

I made some massive washers, (Stainless plates actually), and tacked them onto the backside of the seat metal, then placed some hardened bolts through some "run of the mill" vintage seatbelt brackets. I use these through the kid's car seats and tether the top of the car seats above the boot opening. They are probably the safest passengers in the car.

How do expect to pick up chicks with the wife and kids in the car. The extra weight is gonna kill you in race. Seriously, sounds like the kids are into the booster seat range. The point of booster seats is to keep the shoulder straps of their necks. So unless you add aftermarket shoulder straps I don't know what good the boosters will do, but local seat belt laws might force you to use them any way. The back seat is the safest place to be in an accident. The only thing over the lap belts I am thinking about is metal sheild between the the rear seat and gas tank. Being a dad my self I always drive more carefully with the kids, so I worry more about the shmuck behind me talking on the cell phone,eating a burger, and changing their clothes at the same time. The odds are better that the front seaters are the ones to get the worst of things.

I made some massive washers, (Stainless plates actually), and tacked them onto the backside of the seat metal, then placed some hardened bolts through some "run of the mill" vintage seatbelt brackets. I use these through the kid's car seats and tether the top of the car seats above the boot opening. They are probably the safest passengers in the car.

Do you have a picture of your set-up? One kid is in a booster, the other still in a booster seat. There are only lap belts so I would use the lap belt for the car seat and fab something to hold the top of the car seat back at the top, but to where? The package tray medal? Is that sturdy enough?

The booster seat kid could use just the lap belt, but is that enough? I do not have shoulder belts anywhere in the car and do not have plans to install them. Any ideas or thoughts on what other dads/moms do?

I did a similiar thing with the backing plates. But I used a high grade u bolt and related hardware to create my own "latch" system. I measured the specs from my new Mazda6 and basically transplanted them to the 67. That combined with the stock seatbelt has that car seat in the tight.