Kilrcanary

JAM

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
al
could you expand on your 'maximized' theory???
i'm interested in a 331 short block , but wasn't planning on changing my present mods????

"If its a daily driver, stay with the stock flywheel IMO. Adding cubes is ALWAYS a good thing. A good rule of thumb is 1 HP per cubic inch. Sure you can exceed that, but it s good rule of thumb so you don't expect too much. The 331 will give you more low and mid range torque which is IDEAL for the street too. I'd go 331 if I were you and planning a rebuild. I have to rebuild my stang, but I will NOT be stroking it, at least I don't think so. The reason being a stroker will take my maximized combo and make it restrictive, plus I want to see how fast a 302/306 can go in one of our cars, namely my vert. If I didn't already have my cam, heads, and intake I'd do a 347 and be done with it though." :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

What I meant is that my H/C/I are setup to work with 302 cubes. Adding more cubes will increase the airflow demands of my motor, and thus make my current "maximized" parts on my 302 restrictive on the 331. I'd still gain some power, but I won't make as much as I could with the extra cubes. I'd need a cam with more duration, a head with more flow, and an intake with more flow and shorter runners (like and RPM). If you put your parts on a 331 it will work fine and make more power than you currently do, but you won't make anywhere near as much as you could if you had different heads, intake, etc that are setup to match the air requirements of the larger cubes.

more hp > less hp ??

what would be the bad side of using the 331 v.s. the 306???
allowing that the motor wouldn't be optimized,,,,
>gas mpg
>cost
>reliability
>ect....
BTW thanks for the reply
:)

Really there isn't a bad thing I can think of. Reliability shouldn't be an issue if its assembled correctly, gas mileage may be slightly less than with the 302, but I wouldn't suspect much, cost will be a little more... all in all if I were in your shoes, I'd probably opt for the stroker. Like I said, I don't want to do it as it has taken me a long time to sort out my combo to get it to run the way it does, if I added more cubes I'd be starting all over and it would bother me to know that I'm not optimized and I have HP laying in there untapped because of my induction components, plus I still want to see how far the 302/306 will take my heavy beast.