KOEO memory code 33 - EGR only?

'89cab

Jul 19, 2004
Carmel, CA
My son's '89 GT is running rough, no check engine light on. Received a memory code 33 which is "EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code did not open intermittently."

I was prepared to just purchase a new valve and try it but I'm not certain it might be something else related to it -- sensor, solenoids, vacuum regulator valve. Does code 33 mean only the EGR valve? What should I do?

Also, where the heck is the EGR? Chilton's is worthless. Could not find any photos/drawings of emissions equipment on the 5.0.

• Sponsors (?)

It's near the TB. It's the round thing attached to the spacer that's between the TB and Upper Intake. It points to the firewall. I had this code once and when I looked at the EGR I forgot I had unplugged the vaccumm for it to change a spark plug, could be simple as that. Good luck!

exam4.jpg

Code 33 - Insufficient EGR flow detected.
Look for vacuum leaks, cracked vacuum lines, failed EGR vacuum regulator. Check to see if you have 10” of vacuum at the EGR vacuum connection coming from the intake manifold. Look for electrical signal at the vacuum regulator solenoid valves located on the rear of the passenger side wheel well. Using a test light across the electrical connector, it should flicker as the electrical signal flickers. Remember that the computer does not source any power, but provides the ground necessary to complete the circuit. That means one side of the circuit will always be hot, and the other side will go to ground or below 1 volt as the computer switches on that circuit.
Check for resistance between the brown/lt green wire on the EGR sensor and pin 27 on the computer: you should have less than 1 ohm.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

TPS_IAB_Pic.jpg

88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif
Full wiring diagram for the computer:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif

EGR test procedure courtesy of cjones

to check the EGR valve:
bring the engine to normal temp.
connect a vacuum pump to the EGR Valve
apply 5in vacuum to the valve.
if engine stumbled or died then EGR Valve and passage(there is a passageway through the heads and intake) are good.
if engine did NOT stumble or die then either the EGR Valve is bad and/or the passage is blocked.
if engine stumbled, connect vacuum gauge to the hose coming off of the EGR Valve
snap throttle to 2500 RPM (remember snap the throttle don't hold it there).
did the vacuum gauge show about 5in vacuum?

if not, check for manifold vacuum at the EGR vacuum valve.
if you have manifold vacuum then connect vacuum gauge to the EGR valve side of the vacuum valve and snap throttle to 2500 RPM.
should read about 5in vacuum

The operation of the EGR vacuum regulator can be checked by using a test light applied across the wiring connector. Jumper the computer into self test mode and turn the key on but do not start the engine. You will hear all the actuators (including the EVR vacuum regulator) cycle. Watch for the light to flicker: that means the computer has signaled the EGR vacuum regulator successfully.

Attachments

• TPS_IAB_Pic.jpg
    TPS_IAB_Pic.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 884
  • 88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif
    88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 123