laptop/SCT Question?

thinking of buying a used laptop on ebay for cheap so I can datalog the Stang, and stuff to adjust for tunes and what not.

what's the minimum CPU speed I can get away with?

This program will only have my SCT Software on it, bare installation of windows xp, and a wifi card so i can browse the internet, and post pics up live from the track.

The laptop has a Intel Celeron-400MHz processor, 64MB of RAM (i can upgrade this), 4GB hard drive, zip drive, battery, and ac adapter.

HD Space is not an issue as my SCT Programs only take up 60mb.

will this work for datalogging and transferring e-mail tunes?

• Sponsors (?)

thinking of buying a used laptop on ebay for cheap so I can datalog the Stang, and stuff to adjust for tunes and what not.

what's the minimum CPU speed I can get away with?

This program will only have my SCT Software on it, bare installation of windows xp, and a wifi card so i can browse the internet, and post pics up live from the track.

The laptop has a Intel Celeron-400MHz processor, 64MB of RAM (i can upgrade this), 4GB hard drive, zip drive, battery, and ac adapter.

HD Space is not an issue as my SCT Programs only take up 60mb.

will this work for datalogging and transferring e-mail tunes?

You might as well buy a nice laptop. I've had nothing but bad experiences with used laptops from ebay.

That being said, SCT reccommends a pentium II processor. You will definetely need more RAM (at least 500MB+), and the advantage program is 1Gig in size. Your better off buying something nice you can use for school, traveling, and other things.

You might as well buy a nice laptop. I've had nothing but bad experiences with used laptops from ebay.

That being said, SCT reccommends a pentium II processor. You will definetely need more RAM (at least 500MB+), and the advantage program is 1Gig in size. Your better off buying something nice you can use for school, traveling, and other things.

eh i don't have the money for all that right now, just need something cheap for datalogging.

i dont have the advantage software...just have the Live Link 3, Extreme Tune, and Live Load.

Eventually I will buy a nice laptop. but for now will this laptop work stricly for datalogging? I can get memory cheap.

eh i don't have the money for all that right now, just need something cheap for datalogging.

i dont have the advantage software...just have the Live Link 3, Extreme Tune, and Live Load.

Eventually I will buy a nice laptop. but for now will this laptop work stricly for datalogging? I can get memory cheap.

It'll work, but it will be slow. Just be cautious with ebay and used electronics...

The slowest laptop I ever used for SCT stuff was an 800 Mz machine and it was acceptable. I also tried a 400Mz machine once and it was NOT acceptable, but it was with Advantage 2.9 - which was less memory and resource hungry than 3.0. If it were me, I'd pass on it and save up to get something a bit better.

I too have been burned twice on laptops off Ebay, so be very careful.

Don

The slowest laptop I ever used for SCT stuff was an 800 Mz machine and it was acceptable. I also tried a 400Mz machine once and it was NOT acceptable, but it was with Advantage 2.9 - which was less memory and resource hungry than 3.0. If it were me, I'd pass on it and save up to get something a bit better.

I too have been burned twice on laptops off Ebay, so be very careful.

Don

hmmm I may wait for the 800 mhz then.

Honestly, your car is pretty close to stock. Why the hell do you need to get that serious tuning wise? Invest in a set of heads, cams, or even a supercharger. Your cars pretty slow. Make it fast, get it professionally tuned, and your good to go.

Honestly, your car is pretty close to stock. Why the hell do you need to get that serious tuning wise? Invest in a set of heads, cams, or even a supercharger. Your cars pretty slow. Make it fast, get it professionally tuned, and your good to go.

when you understand things, and put yourself out there to learn things, you can save a lot of money and time.

also I'm a hands on guy when it comes to my car, I don't like things happening that I'm not being let in on, I ask questions at all turns. I've been present for most of the work done, and a lot of it I've done myself as I don't trust too many people.

Also, it's not much, but whatever power I get from the tuner, will be worthwhile until I can get the power I want. also I have a build plan for this car and I don't deviate a whole lot from it, I pretty much do things as I have them set.

there's really no use spending $6K on a supercharger that I'd like to run about 20# of boost on, when the engine I have, has 83,000 miles on it, and isn't forged.

there's really no use spending $6K on a supercharger that I'd like to run about 20# of boost on, when the engine I have, has 83,000 miles on it, and isn't forged.

Meh, forged doesn't mean sh1t until after 10-11lbs of boost.

I've been running 14lbs for quite some time now on my own tuning with the stock block. Also, mileage doesn't mean anything if the motor has good compression. These motors are DAMN strong.

Meh, forged doesn't mean sh1t until after 10-11lbs of boost.

I've been running 14lbs for quite some time now on my own tuning with the stock block. Also, mileage doesn't mean anything if the motor has good compression. These motors are DAMN strong.

These motors if taken care of are good for 200k.

yeah but if I go ahead and put a supercharger on now, and most I get out of it is around 400-425 hp, and then I'm not happy with it, then I have to stop, pull the motor, get it forged, re-install everything, get it tuned, and that's wasting a lot of time and money that I don't care to do.

I will move forward as I have planned.