Last chance at track. New best times!!

351wcoupe

Feb 13, 2003
Manhattan, Kansas
Well I found a track that was open on the 16th so I tried my luck one more time.

First run no changes from when I went to Budds Creeks. I left the boost at 17-18 and used the 70 shot, w/ bottle pressure at 1000psi.

On the first run I didn't get the burnout I wanted and it didn't hook great.

60': 1.685
330: 4.687
1/8: 7.209
mph: 97.73
1k': 9.403
1/4: 11.277
mph: 120.54

Aside from traction the run went smooth...until the 3-4 shift. I hit 4th and glanced at the wideband. It started a transition from A/F in the mid 11's to 10.8 but the pull only got harder. I looked up at about 1100ft and the boost gauge was buried past the 30psi mark(its an autometer gauge and the neddle was pointing straight down). Naturally I stayed WOT but turned nitrous off. the boost dropped to about 20psi and I turned it back on. boost shot right back over 30psi. I did this twice.

I nearly crapped myself to see it run that fast with only the 70 shot and it didn't die.

Next run no changes other than turned the boost valve out until it nearly fell apart. I also couldn't get the nitrous pressure over 800psi(strange for it only having one spray on the bottle)

60': 1.593
330: 4.755
1/8: 7.329
mph: 95.26
1k': 9.569
1/4: 11.504
mph: 115.22

I got the traction but it laid down a little in 3rd and alot in 4th. Clicked the nitrous off at 1000ft and it ran fine.

Next run, Ran the left lane with a 100shot and bottle now just under 800psi. I did get an awesome in car video of the highest longest wheelie I've done.
60': 1.575
330: 4.905
1/8: 7.674
mph: 89.05
1k': 10.05
1/4: 12.077
mph: 110.76

Fell hard in 3rd so I turned the n20 off granny shifted 4th and just watched the wideband on a good topend pull without nitrous.

Last run, no changes from 3rd.
60': 1.627
330: 5.046
1/8: 7.63
mph: 94.83
1k': 9.871
1/4: 11.852
mph: 112.11
This run sucked. It hooked harder than ever but at the top of 1st it jumped out of gear so I used that to momentum to hit 2nd just slightly early. It fell down at the 1/8 and I was ready to quit anyway. By now the bottle pressure was down 700psi. So I'm attributing all the main issues to a bad fill.

I guess the 10's will have to be next year.

• Sponsors (?)

well I can't be too upset, It takes a pretty stout small block and a power adder to run the same times and I was using a pretty small amount of nitrous. Its hard to get over going to a track where people have never seen a 2.3T run. After each run I had a group of people gathered around my trailer. Always somebody new to talk to.

Good fun. Can't wait for next year.

If you spent half as much time getting a replacement cam from the J-yard and installing it instead of bitching about your worn out cam, you'd probably have 10s by now. :nonono:

Common now. Do you need me to pull a stock slider for ya? haha. I'm sure you don't want a roller cam, because then you can't state all stock internals, and a true bolt on car.....

Im more suprised that it runs like it does for a stock head and very wore out cam.

yeah, yeah I know....Its a few "stupid" things I'm fixing before I run it in january. I'm starting to run it way past the rpm range of this cam anyway. I think I'll stick in a ranger cam and the cam gear.

If you don't mind doing the swap for me. When you work on cars all day you get a little burned out. lol

And in review pay no attention to any actual complaining. I'm extremely happy with every and lately I've come to be very hard on the car and its gone that much faster. This is why you should try to make it to WFC 10. Nothing like a few 7k launches on boost and spray to test the drivetrain.

hehe, I was just trying to motivate you some by giving you some crap. I can totally understand you on the needing a break from cars when you get home from work thing. I decided to stay out of the automotive industry so it doesn't effect my hobby. :D

Cam swaps are so easy in these 2.3s though. I can pull a roller cam from a J-yard in about 20 min or less.

yeah, yeah I know....Its a few "stupid" things I'm fixing before I run it in january. I'm starting to run it way past the rpm range of this cam anyway. I think I'll stick in a ranger cam and the cam gear.

If you don't mind doing the swap for me. When you work on cars all day you get a little burned out. lol

And in review pay no attention to any actual complaining. I'm extremely happy with every and lately I've come to be very hard on the car and its gone that much faster. This is why you should try to make it to WFC 10. Nothing like a few 7k launches on boost and spray to test the drivetrain.

I can start from the 10.90 point and just keep adding the aftermarket parts until I'm where ever I end up.....probably back in the 12's with my luck.

Whats worse is that I have a rotated intake and the only things close to the valve cover are the plug wires and oil feed line. The valve cover comes off in about 50 seconds with non powered hand tools.

Edit: I definitely need motivation after this year. I raced a ton of places and cost alot. The trip to WFC 9 cost nearly what I've got in the car to begin with. It takes its toll. Amanda and I were discussing the idea of whats going to happen when I don't have the $750/month truck and trailer payment...... Look out. I'll be checking out pro stock cars to put a 2.3 in..... stock head and cam of course. ;)

I looked up at about 1100ft and the boost gauge was buried past the 30psi mark(its an autometer gauge and the neddle was pointing straight down). Naturally I stayed WOT but turned nitrous off. the boost dropped to about 20psi and I turned it back on. boost shot right back over 30psi. I did this twice.

I nearly crapped myself to see it run that fast with only the 70 shot and it didn't die.

That just proves one thing.......you should have been running 30psi AND the 100 shot. :D You're using a Holset, right?

Out of curiosity, what are you using for fuel control? If it's still the EEC-IV....:hail2:

yeah using an HX35. We had been wanting to try it that far but never had the guts to do it.

Yeah I'm using an LA3, and an unmodified blow thru VAM. Stinger has a similar set-up and tuned it for his car. Then sent me everything, I plugged it in and never touched it. Any fine tuning I do is acheived through fuel pressure or changing nitrous jets around. I set the base timing and go with it.