New turbo slower times

Personally, on race gas, I'd be shooting for 12-12.2 and then whatever timing made it fastest.
Yeah it is wayyy fat on race gas . But this tune up especially with a blow thru setup is going to rely on them reading plugs the way they said they would consider it . Lol

• Sponsors (?)

So 26 degrees at 8 psi ?

You don’t want all that gear man . It’s not a NA car . max 373s you want the car to make the turbo work and build the heat in the exhaust side to make it spool . I’ll bet you you can get After it big time on the launch and then it will pick up mph big time out the back with a gear change . We went 4.90s to the 1/8 mile with a 3.60 rear gear ...

You keep saying yellowish tint on the plugs does nothing for anyone . In order to get a true plug read you must put fresh plugs in . Make a hit and shut it down and pull them . End of story . Not trying to sound like an ass but anything else you do youre waisting your time trying to read a plug . You can’t come on here asking for a solution and then say you consider getting your son to try this or that when people are offering you a solution.

I’d bet my life on it a stock cam with that turbo would pick up over that x cam you got in it . For 350 bucks the custom cam route would make a huge difference in how it runs and then using the cam to bleed off cyl pressure would open up the tuning window some as well . I’m no pro but have been around a bit .

Ha, look at you being the one that uses " the speech". You know what they say about leading a horse to water....

For me,..it only takes hearing things one time after I start blowing up sht.

Back in the mid nineties when I was dumb( er). I had a stock 460 in a drag car that I ran (2) stacked cobbled together super powershot nitrous plates on.

I knew nothing about plug reading, I knew nothing about octane ( other than pump premium made more power than race gas if you could get away with it) I knew nothing about how much timing was too much timing.
When I first brought that thing to the track...The car would run 7.0's on the one plate, and as soon as I grabbed the second kit, it blew a pressed in freeze plug out of the side of the engine.

I replaced the freeze plug with an expando freeze plug at the track, went out the very next pass, grabbed the second kit blew a different freeze plug out of the other side of the engine, destroyed the car from a resulting wreck.

Nobody could tell me what or how that happened..Until I called Al Moody.

It was then that I learned that I couldn't expect 93 octane to work with 350hp of nitrous. It was then that I learned that I couldn't run 36 degrees of timing. It was then that I learned that I was lifting the head, pressurizing the water jacket, and blowing freeze plugs.

I listened, I learned, I changed things.

• Loved It!
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Ha, look at you being the one that uses " the speech". You know what they say about leading a horse to water....

Back in the mid nineties when I was dumb( er). I had a stock 460 in a drag car that I ran (2) stacked cobbled together super powershot nitrous plates on.

I knew nothing about plug reading, I knew nothing about octane ( other than pump premium made more power than race gas if you could get away with it) I knew nothing about how much timing was too much timing.
When I first brought that thing to the track...The car would run 7.0's on the one plate, and as soon as I grabbed the second kit, it blew a pressed in freeze plug out of the side of the engine.

I replaced the freeze plug with an expando freeze plug at the track, went out the very next pass, grabbed the second kit blew a different freeze plug out of the other side of the engine, destroyed the car from a resulting wreck.

It was then that I learned that I couldn't expect 93 octane to work with 350hp of nitrous. It was then that I learned that I couldn't run 36 degrees of timing. It was then that I learned that I was lifting the head, pressurizing the water jacket, and blowing freeze plugs.

Amen mike , hey I’m not perfect but i have been forutunate enough to be able to wrench on some real fast stuff and have guys with way more experience be willing to teach me. So If I can help I will . Until we start going in circles !

Just like @TOOLOW91 has said you need to shut the car off and pull the plugs at end of track. When you idle and cruise back to the pits it’s messes everything up. I would also look into possibly adding an air fuel gauge into the down pipe to see if it’s going lean or fat anywhere in the run. What are plugs gapped at? How’s the rest of the ignition system? Still distributor with a single coil? Any ignition box? It’s low boost so I would not think it could be spark blowout. I had that issue in my car but that was at 20+ lbs.
07-20-2019-1.jpg
07-20-2019-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 here, I need pictures of the plugs to say more about the tune, what fuel is used? And wot timing.
The x303 cam has way too much overlap for a turbo.
Here's a couple of plugs, 5 and 6. Timing is 14 initial, 34 total, pulling 1 degree per lb of boost. Running 114 race fuel.

Attachments

• 07-20-2019-1.jpg
    07-20-2019-1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 07-20-2019-2.jpg
    07-20-2019-2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 94
likely the plug on the right was still firing and burned off the carbon, the plug on the left is either over fueled to the point of fouling [likely with you AFR] or that cylinder is consuming oil. is the black soot powdery or glassy

I've learned as i age to listen to people that know more than me. I've been around and built a ton of carbed N/A engines but with efi and boost i'm all ears because its like a foreign language and I'm not into splitting blocks or burning holes in pistons... I love this forum because so many are smarter than me!

Why such a big difference in the two. Both pulled after the same run? Granted we idled back to the pits.
Because either you had plugs with mutiple runs on them or your cyl distribution is horrible .

I’ll say it one more time . YOU NEED TO PUT FRESH PLUGS IN . Make a pass and pull them right out. Don’t idle don’t anything . Burn out , run , off and pull them .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You can’t idle back to the pits either idle fueling will mess up the plug surface you need to make a run shut the car completely off coast to return road and swap a plug out.

Something else to consider...I would rely more on plug reading then AFR. With the overlap on the cam your pushing a fresh charge right out the exhaust. So you may see less the normal readings there. If you were pushing head gaskets it sounds like you were hydraulicing the thing which can be really hard on that top ring land.
For sure distribution is off at idle if you dont have a low compression cylinder.

Reactions: 1 user
Something else to consider...I would rely more on plug reading then AFR. With the overlap on the cam your pushing a fresh charge right out the exhaust. So you may see less the normal readings there. If you were pushing head gaskets it sounds like you were hydraulicing the thing which can be really hard on that top ring land.
For sure distribution is off at idle if you dont have a low compression cylinder.
That’s what we were trying to get him to do was read a clean plug

• Agree
needs less gear
less fuel (alot less) shoot for the 12:1-12.2:1 range
a different cam
more timing

also check for boost leaks

• Loved It!
needs less gear
less fuel (alot less) shoot for the 12:1-12.2:1 range
a different cam
more timing

also check for boost leaks
He said he’ll consider it after we mentioned all these things . Imagine that car with a 3.27 or even a 3.55 in it ?
Hell I bet it went faster with a stock cam which I mentioned above . Way more turbo friendly then that x cam