• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Launch Technique on 40 series DRs...

  • Thread starter Thread starter twstd50
  • Start date Start date Mar 2, 2004
T

twstd50

Member
Oct 20, 2003
97
0
6
Mar 2, 2004
#1
  • Mar 2, 2004
  • #1
I have BFG 245/40-18 DRs on my 94 convertible w/aode...

I'll be going to the track with them for the first time this weekend. Should I lower them down to about 18psi and heat em up really good for the best launch?

I was trying to launch with them on the street to see if they would hook without dropping the pressure or heating them up and they were getting roasted pretty bad.

I want to make sure I get the best possible 60' times this time around.

Thanks...
 
T

twstd50

Member
Oct 20, 2003
97
0
6
Mar 3, 2004
#2
  • Mar 3, 2004
  • #2
twstd50 said:
I have BFG 245/40-18 DRs on my 94 convertible w/aode...

I'll be going to the track with them for the first time this weekend. Should I lower them down to about 18psi and heat em up really good for the best launch?

I was trying to launch with them on the street to see if they would hook without dropping the pressure or heating them up and they were getting roasted pretty bad.

I want to make sure I get the best possible 60' times this time around.

Thanks...
Click to expand...

For anyone that has 18" DRs, what psi do you put them to at the track?
 

Joes95GT

New Member
Jan 23, 2003
3,132
1
0
Delaware
Mar 3, 2004
#3
  • Mar 3, 2004
  • #3
I don't have any experience with 18" DR's, but I think that 18psi is too high, especially if the track is not well prepped. Your going to be at a lack of traction from the start because of the low-pro sidewall. I would start at 15 psi and go down, or up accordingly. You don't have a transbrake so I don't think you would need anything less than 13 psi or so.

I'm not sure if BFG's need a lot of heat or not, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try it.

Joe
 

95snoozer

Active Member
Dec 14, 2002
2,572
1
48
RCR
Mar 3, 2004
#4
  • Mar 3, 2004
  • #4
my nittos didnt really hook til 14 psi hot

12 was too low
 
T

twstd50

Member
Oct 20, 2003
97
0
6
Mar 4, 2004
#5
  • Mar 4, 2004
  • #5
Thanks guys...

I heard on some other boards that I should start out around 20 psi due to the tires possibly cupping and getting enough tread on the ground for traction.
 

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
5,676
1
76
Altoona, PA
Mar 4, 2004
#6
  • Mar 4, 2004
  • #6
Who even makes a 245-40-18 DR??? I would start at 18lbs and go down from there. I run mine at 16-18lbs.
 

fastfive0

"Your girl likes my stang better"
Founding Member
Mar 1, 1999
1,462
0
36
Wilkes-Barre,Pa
Mar 4, 2004
#7
  • Mar 4, 2004
  • #7
Ahhhhh, another one who has the Gforce 245/40/18 drag radials. I have the same ones. I would start @ 15psi and go down,no lower then 11-12psi. Back them into the water box and spin em with a 2nd gear spin till you see some smoke. Power outta the water and stage. Slip clutch and say hello to your new friend............TRACTION!

These are difficult to get the hang of though, due to the short sidewall.
Have fun!
 
T

twstd50

Member
Oct 20, 2003
97
0
6
Mar 7, 2004
#8
  • Mar 7, 2004
  • #8
The hooked pretty good...There was no wheel spin what so ever. Granted I was only launching at 2500rpms. But I was able to get two 1.9 60' times and that was with the tires at 35psi
 
T

twstd50

Member
Oct 20, 2003
97
0
6
Mar 7, 2004
#9
  • Mar 7, 2004
  • #9
Ohhh... forgot to mention this is with my vert w/aode and yes they are the GForce DRs.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
409
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Progress Thread Progress Thread- From6to8's 1994 Cobra Supercharger install
  • from6to8
  • Sep 25, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 20 21 22
Replies
420
Views
11K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 6, 2026
from6to8
B
'03 GT Fuel Pump/Pressure/Delivery Issue
  • Brodach
  • Oct 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
1K
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
gkomo
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
462
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
B
94 cobra possible idle issue?
  • Bowen94
  • Feb 15, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
11
Views
2K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Feb 16, 2024
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?