LED vs HID 93 Mustang

Sylvania Silverstars on my Coupe and the light output is really good. Not as good as the LED from my 2020 F150 but apples and oranges. I did install relays for the low and high beam both and that helped immensly with the output. As 2000xp8 mentioned the headlight switch provides the power for the high and low beam directly to the head lights which was a bad idea from the factory but when you add a higher wattage bulb to the mix it has caused the switch to overhead and fail. Plenty of write ups on how to do this so use the search function.

HID conversion over on the Corral that turned out really well:

Nice. Thanks for the link. Looks like the HID projectors that were used in that thread were $380. Hoping there was be a more cost effective option.

• Sponsors (?)

Shop around and use Google. Costs have gone out the roof since he did his and I will go out on a limb here and say that prices are not going to come back down much. Once they increase prices they stay there and it takes years for our pockets to catch up.

You can research the dimensions of the HID unit itself and then see if you can find another brand with the same or close to the same dimensions that is cheaper. Would stress you also need to research reviews on anything you are going to buy but that should go without saying.

Shop around and use Google. Costs have gone out the roof since he did his and I will go out on a limb here and say that prices are not going to come back down much. Once they increase prices they stay there and it takes years for our pockets to catch up.

You can research the dimensions of the HID unit itself and then see if you can find another brand with the same or close to the same dimensions that is cheaper. Would stress you also need to research reviews on anything you are going to buy but that should go without saying.
Will do for sure. I found one on Amazon. Looks cheap and need to do some more research. Nilight 2.5" Mini Projector Lens for H1 Headlights Bulb Retrofit, Custom Headlamps Conversion:Chrome Shround,2 Years Warranty https://a.co/d/5oVEnUG

HID and LED are :poo: in everything that didn't come with them originally, unless the CONVERSION is done right. Swapping one of those "bulbs" into reflector housing is not a "conversion". That's a cheap-ass way to now say you got "brighter" lights. BFD. They're only brighter because the output of the bulb is higher than the original incandescent bulb. The light is still scattered all over the f'in place, just worse.
You do have to pull up and have them aimed at a flat surface in front of you and adjust the angle of the lights with the screws on the headlamp.

You do have to pull up and have them aimed at a flat surface in front of you and adjust the angle of the lights with the screws on the headlamp.
Thanks. I've seen videos of people doing the housing "conversion" to HID. Looks like a pain in the ass to be honest. Would be great if a company made an aftermarket set that we could purchase and install instead of having to DIY these ourselves. Just my opinion.

I’ve installed two of those led conversion kits in my friend’s, and my mustang and I like them. They’re a good bit brighter than the factory style lights and install in 5 minutes.

Thanks. I've seen videos of people doing the housing "conversion" to HID. Looks like a pain in the ass to be honest. Would be great if a company made an aftermarket set that we could purchase and install instead of having to DIY these ourselves. Just my opinion.

Aftermarket companies don’t make a projector housing because they can’t get a DOT number to make them legal. Modification of the headlights is illegal in all US states, and that includes changing a bulb style from halogen to HID/LED or putting a projector into a halogen housing. Off-road use only used to be good enough for a way around it, but not anymore.

Aiming the headlights is NOT the issue with these aftermarket Chinese led bulbs. It’s the scatter and glare they produce inside a halogen housing. They cannot be focused (focused NOT aimed) properly in a halogen housing.
With the stock halogen bulb, the difference between high beam vs low beam is the bulb filaments, being about 2-3mm forward/ backwards of the other. That 2-3mm difference is all it takes to change the focus of the beam from high to low. Using LED or HID in a halogen housing is driving around with the high beam on along with a higher intensity glare. Most people wouldn’t drive around blinding oncoming traffic with their high beams, and switch to low beam. But you can’t do that with LED/HID in a halogen housing, it’s high beam all the time unless you install a projector.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! and you didn't need to replace the headlight assembly so the light wouldn't "scatter"? This company claims these bulbs will also work and won't throw light all over the place. https://www.lasfit.com/products/900...q_standard-trims~dz_low-high-forward-lighting
If you scroll on down to the bottom of this link you posted it talks about being legal or not. Also noticed these bulbs have 6 diodes which makes it impossible to match the OEM position of the 2 filaments for high & low
1EC3123F-B48E-4F39-8A05-906D9E98E579.png

Aftermarket companies don’t make a projector housing because they can’t get a DOT number to make them legal. Modification of the headlights is illegal in all US states, and that includes changing a bulb style from halogen to HID/LED or putting a projector into a halogen housing. Off-road use only used to be good enough for a way around it, but not anymore.

Aiming the headlights is NOT the issue with these aftermarket Chinese led bulbs. It’s the scatter and glare they produce inside a halogen housing. They cannot be focused (focused NOT aimed) properly in a halogen housing.
With the stock halogen bulb, the difference between high beam vs low beam is the bulb filaments, being about 2-3mm forward/ backwards of the other. That 2-3mm difference is all it takes to change the focus of the beam from high to low. Using LED or HID in a halogen housing is driving around with the high beam on along with a higher intensity glare. Most people wouldn’t drive around blinding oncoming traffic with their high beams, and switch to low beam. But you can’t do that with LED/HID in a halogen housing, it’s high beam all the time unless you install a projector.
All good info, but still sucks we can't "legally" change the bulbs so we can see better at night. I'm a fan of installing the projector, just wish it was something that could be purchased off the shelf with a DOT blessing.

You can do whatever you want but your local law enforcement will determine if it’s worth it or not. A HID conversion done correctly will not (99%) get you pulled over as the light quality is so good no one will care.