GoldMember
Founding Member
Aug 18, 1999
Demotte IN 46310
bone stock 85 GT. 138k miles T5 trans
4k budget ( fairly hard ceiling )
5 Lug swap excluded.

How do you spend the $$ on power and suspension

Car is a street car toy only, no track goals at all.
No blowers/turbos or NO2 NA only.
Used parts are acceptable and I will be doing the work.

• Sponsors (?)

• Subframe connectors
• New lowering coil springs (-1')
• Adjustable Shocks/New struts
Lower Control arms
• Bushings
• Sway Bar(s) Upgrade
• Clutch upgrade
• Carb and Intake upgrade
• Long tube headers
• X/H-pipe
• Mufflers
• Wheels and tires
• Cylinder heads and cam if budget allows :)
I just copied my wish list (except the carb part lol.)

Reactions: 2 users
pfft the interior is fine, no $$ will be spent there :)

IMG_1229_zpsrlfyfqnr.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Cant get behind the SVE heads. Chinese made... I wonder what head they are based on? That in itself makes me hesitant, let alone the fact that they are made with the cheapest materials on the planet, lol. I didnt factor in a full exhaust system. You will be hard pressed to get it all done with $4K. Dont forget the forum discount code. That'll put $200+ back in your wallet when you run up a $4K tab.

lrs-6049b-k_7305f141.jpg
Mustang SVE 5.0L Top End Engine Kit - Carbureted ... x 1 $1,619.99
jm-24211_2685.jpg
Mustang J&M Caster Camber Plates (79-89) x 1 $165.42
jm-23858_1257.jpg
Mustang J&M Weight Jacker Rear Control Arms (79-98... x 1 $247.51
Sub-Total: $2,032.92

Budget is half gone!
I will still need at a minimum
Shocks/Struts
Springs
Full exhaust
Clutch ( likely)
MM Subs

What are the SVE heads modeled after?
I know SVE also has a LCA kit too-not sure of there quality though
Also-add radiator upgrade to my list lol

I agree but I have had many other shocks/struts over the years and IMHO the HR race springs and Bilsteins combo is hard to beat without going to full on coil-overs, which in this instance I am not interested in.

So the power part is going to wait for now. I will do suspension and 5 lug swap in the coming weeks and revisit the power/exhaust part later.

THANK YOU, YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN PLACED.

An email confirmation has been sent to

Order Number: #WW37625
  • Mustang Bilstein HD Series Shock & Strut Kit (87-04)
  • Mustang SVE Bump Steer Kit - Power Rack (79-93)
  • Mustang J&M Caster Camber Plates (79-89)
  • Mustang J&M Weight Jacker Rear Control Arms (79-98)
  • Mustang Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors (79-04)
  • Mustang H&R Race Springs (79-04)

Well you already spent the money on the struts but I really like the strange engineering 10 way adjustable struts and shocks. Way cheaper. But bilstein makes excellent stuff. Your entire suspension package will work great.

For the power department I recommend looking on corral.net for some used tfs or afr heads. Match with a good dual plenum intake,600cfm Holley,a decent cam(tfs1,comp cam 264-270hr,afm n41) and complete exhaust.

I <3 Bilsteins . I am not a fan of used heads, I have been burned in the past. Used heads in my experience usually require a visit to the machine shop for some work, thus making the price difference negligible.

When the time comes I will look closely at the Ebrock/TFS kits for the motor.

Reactions: 1 user
I was actually considering the H&R springs myself, but with Strange 10-ways. I'll be curious to see where your ride hieght comes in.

I'd almost suggest the TFS EFI kit, but selling off the EFI specific parts and substituting a carb intake setup.

Piecing it together might cost a bit more. Gotta throw roller rockers into that mix of needed parts as well, plus gaskets, pushrods, timing chain, etc...which all comes in the TFS kit. Jusr gotta selll off the $650 track heat intake

https://lmr.com/item/TFS-K514360350B/1987-93-Mustang-50L-Trick-Flow-Track-Heat-Top-End-Kit-Black

Wait for a lmr code to save a bit more.

Last edited:
Disagree completely, I have used both J&M and MM parts on many rides over the years, both are very good. I am pretty sure J&M was part of MM back in the day.

Hell, my 950 rwhp turbo car has J&M lowers on it still. I will say I have not purchased any J&M parts is a few years but I have always been satisfied with all the parts I have gotten from them.