Lets talk about my rear end :)

csledd

Official Ovary Punching Member
Founding Member
Aug 18, 2001
Paducah, KY
so yeah, now that I'm going to the track almost every weekend and im about to order 4.10 gears I would like some extra security on my rear. Where is a good place to start to keep me from somehow breaking it? What are the weak points that I should start replacing?

Also.. when do you need to replace the bearings? should I do this when I install the gears?

.. does anybody know where i can get a shiftlight that doesn't have to be mounted to the dash permantly but is still a nice one?

TIA!!

• Sponsors (?)

Purchased my axles from Modular Depot, eBay for Eaton Posi and MustangTuning (enter coupon code stangnet) for the FRPP 4.10 gears.

Edit:

Those shift lights ... I'd look into a raptor, they're small LEDs and I've seen people mount them out of view in the vents. Once it's on of course you'll see it in your peripheral vision. I'd like to get one so I don't have to stare at the tach and concentrate on the road.

www.raptorperformance.com

Camaro35th_4a.jpg

yea lets see it :banana: LOL J/K. :rlaugh:

Anyways the weak points are A. alxles and B. spidergears. both of these are commonly broken.

SO I would recommend going here strange and getting some of their 31 spline axles. Need # P3111 . As for the carrier I would get an auborn posi HERE and get part #542025 . you could also buy your 31 spline axles from them, they are VERY good too. In any case, I would call them and make sure thats what you need just in case there is variations in their online store and make sure your getting the correct parts. Hope that helps.

streetstang03 said:
31 Spline Moser Axles
FMS 31 Spline T-lok
Welded Torque Boxes & Axle Tubes

I do believe you can pull the FMS 31 spline T-lok out of an explorer, so you might be able to find one at a junk yard. But the axles are the weakest points on the rear ends. Throw some 31 splines in there and you'll be good to launch at 5k with slicks everytime.

the moser 31 spline axels are only $269?? I thought I was gonna be broke after this lol

generally how much hp can these stock rear ends take when lets say launching at 4k

does anybody do 9" Ford rearends anymore :drool:

im thinking im going to replace the axles when i do the gears then.. i have to drive an hour to get to the track and i dont think i want to pay to have my car towed back home

christiesledd said:
the moser 31 spline axels are only $269?? I thought I was gonna be broke after this lol

generally how much hp can these stock rear ends take when lets say launching at 4k

It will last all day long..but depends on your tires. 4.10s with street tires would be fine. Put some Drag Radials on there, and you might be pushing the life of them...and slicks, well...your days are numbered. Over at MDepot Bill Putnam used his 4.30s I believe with slicks on his stock rear. He got quite a few launches out of them before they gave way.

I of course wouldn't push the limits, I would just upgrade the thing if you KNOW you are going to the track to drag race.

artificial HP said:
I do believe you can pull the FMS 31 spline T-lok out of an explorer, so you might be able to find one at a junk yard. But the axles are the weakest points on the rear ends. Throw some 31 splines in there and you'll be good to launch at 5k with slicks everytime.
true. i think F-150s also have 31 splined rears. ebay is a good site, i ve seen posi units for as low as $35 (guy was selling bulk). dont forget about upgrading the girdle or diff. cover too. i would recommend paying a shop to do the swap if youre including gears. you could do the axles in a weekend w/ the help of your dad. gears are a different story. unless you KNOW what youre doing, pay a pro. if you dont install them right, they may whine and chatter the life of your car

got the gear install covered no problem :) my dad is gonna help along with one of his old drag racing buddies who has all the equipment needed for the gear install.

just wondering if we'll be able to do the axles ourselves

christiesledd said:
got the gear install covered no problem :) my dad is gonna help along with one of his old drag racing buddies who has all the equipment needed for the gear install.

just wondering if we'll be able to do the axles ourselves
sweet :nice: the gears will be the hardest part. although i THINK you may need a press for the axles. ive never changed axles on a stang :shrug: if you have a small bench vice, that would probably work. try searching on modulardepot.com for axle installs. half of those guys have upgraded to 31 splines, and half of those guys installed everything themselves. stangnet is great for info and such, but it reminds you of mustangworld when you compare it to modular depot. :D

Tylerb59 said:
Purchased my axles from Modular Depot, eBay for Eaton Posi and MustangTuning (enter coupon code stangnet) for the FRPP 4.10 gears.

Edit:

Those shift lights ... I'd look into a raptor, they're small LEDs and I've seen people mount them out of view in the vents. Once it's on of course you'll see it in your peripheral vision. I'd like to get one so I don't have to stare at the tach and concentrate on the road.

www.raptorperformance.com

Camaro35th_4a.jpg

ew, camaro interior :notnice:

Basically all you need to do is remove your stock carrier and axles and replace them with all new bearings, new carrier, and new axles. Oh and tell them that the pinion gear in the 8.8 IS A MAJOR PAIN IDB to remove, and you need a 4LB + hammer or sledge hammer to get it out, and even then it takes about 20mins of beating on it for it to finally come out. It moves slowly and will not just pop out. As far as the axles, I am pretty sure you will have to have the new bearings pressed on (or you could sit around for a long time and beat them on LOL), but I could be wrong, since its been a while since we installed the gears. good luck. what brand gear you planning on buying?