Lets talk about my rear end :)

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if I'll be going with any rear end upgrades yet :shrug: I just dunno, do you think the 4.10s are gonna put a lot of extra strain on it? I usually only launch 3-4k. I just dont want to be stuck with no way to get my car home from the track thats over an hour away.

I don't have that many credit cards :p I sold my old 95 mustang (finally) and used the money to pay them off, got a bonus from work the paycheck before, and then had some overtime and holiday pay on this check, and then next month i get paid 3 times instead of 2 :)

you want to see pics of my rear? lol :p
I don't have any!.. I'll try to get some but I dunno when that'll be, it's just the stock rear end

OH! and I'd love to do the IRS swap, but isn't it pretty expensive?

christiesledd said:
you want to see pics of my rear? lol :p
I don't have any!.. I'll try to get some but I dunno when that'll be, it's just the stock rear end
I don't need pics, I know where you work. Muhahahahahahahahahahahaha ;) :p

christiesledd said:
OH! and I'd love to do the IRS swap, but isn't it pretty expensive?
Can be. If you can get one used from a wrecked Cobra and install it yourself, it shouldn't cost to much. I think you can buy them new from FRPP, but I don't know how much that would be. :)

The cheapest that I've found for axles and a new Eaton diff was at MPH. You need to have new ABS rings pressed on to your axles...you can reuse your old ones but I was afraid of breaking mine so I just bought new ones. Of course if you change the carrier then you need to have the bearing pressed on to it too. If I were you, I would wait until I had the money to install upgraded axles and a diff that way I wouldn't have to do the work twice.

christiesledd said:
does anybody do 9" Ford rearends anymore :drool:

im thinking im going to replace the axles when i do the gears then.. i have to drive an hour to get to the track and i dont think i want to pay to have my car towed back home

Any trip to the drag strip could be the one that breaks anything, there is not a part out there that is fail safe. Although buying the best you can afford will make this a unlikely occurance.,You would be much better off running an e/t street or a slick, drag radials are nice but the sidewalls have no give. Running the wrinkle wall tire, e/t street/ slick will actually absorb some of the blow from launch and should actual spin at least one time before they completly grap.

Hopefully some of this info helps to solve some of you question, not to mention i made no ill referenced comments about your "rearend". :damnit:

christiesledd said:
so im thinking strange 31 spline, Eaton posi, what else do I need? and what about spider gears? links are appreciated :)
youre gonna need some kind of installation kit. and you dont need it, but new seals and such are strongly recommended. there are kits out there. also, dont forget a rear rear girdle cover. look on ebay for those. cheapest ive seen on ebay is ~$110 for mac. cheapest elsewhere is ~$150