Suspension Lets talk about suspension springs

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
I am thinking about cutting a half coil from my springs when I get to the suspension....
Car is a stock 83 GLX 5 liter convertible with AC . Car sits like it has 4 wheel drive, and I would like to lower it just a bit without losing alot of suspension travel
Springs are original... My research says springs do not wear out, but will sag......
It will be a grocery getter cruiser.. NO Track time or autocross....
Thanks for any thoughts .....
DSCF0014.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Just call maximum motorsports, have then suggest a set of H&R springs and be done with it.
If i had known how good they really were, i would have done it 25 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
As a ford alignment man for years and years all I can say is please don't
No better way to ruin a suspension than to cut the springs
I've done it. I advise you do not
If you are sick on lowering it buy some fancy a arms or something (anything but cutting the spring)

Reactions: 1 user
Limp asked specifics on spring cutting.

We have plenty of spring recommendation threads. Like where I like the progressive Ford B springs with a little rake, and my family did not like the MM light blue springs that were in the car without poly spacers. They were too low that way, rode rough, but it handled like slot car.
Oops, I gave TMI, too. :rolleyes:

The rear end is being replaced, and I have SN95 front spindles to install, so then would be the time to do it...
We used to do this all the time with tri five chevy's.. I watched a guy take a OxyCetalon ( spl) torch and heat some coils while another had a stick marked off measuring at the wheel well lip as it lowered....... Of course we were young and broke and doing things like this were more money than the car costs.
I just don't think I want to spend a bunch of money on springs, struts or coil overs unless there is some thing wrong with the current springs...... Seems like last time I looked springs were not too bad but struts and shocks were ridiculously priced..... Some stock Monroes from Rock auto are going to be more my style..
Its just a grocery getter.........
DSCF0734.JPG
DSCF0776.JPG

My Eibach pro kit lowered it to right where I wanted it, and the ride quality is not bad at all.
If I were 18, I’d cut the springs. Now, I try to do things right.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
MM has H&R springs for convertibles? Would there be a higher spring rate for the additional weight? NO reasons given on their website..
93SSP, your car sits nicely..... No rubbing ?

Besides lowering the car, what other advantages would I get from new springs?
What is the difference of progressive rate springs VS non progressive?

Progressive springs are wound so there is a section that gives a softer ride over smaller bumps, then goes into full strength over bigger dips or loads.
Constant rate compress at a constant rate so handling response is quicker.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, I thought i remember reading your coupe had the pro kit. I’ve considered these springs but wonder if a lighter coupe would have the same stance as your vert (which is great).