Let's Talk Suspension And Gs For A Moment.

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I love the built in accelerometer / G meter gauge. The factory Perf. Pack Brembos have proven they can stop the car with over a G of force. I know what it will take to get the car to pull a G going forward....a bit more power.

So here's the question. What needs changed for the car to CONFIDENTLY pull G in left and right turns? I've seen as high as .94 G on right turn but shortly after the car broke loose and over steered. I've seen .86 G on a right turn without the car breaking loose. So that kind of makes me critical of the achievement.

Is this just a matter of drop springs, shocks and struts? Can it be achieved with some jacking rails, IRS bushing supporters, K-member brace, IRS Subframe braces?

Guess I'm getting older. I really like the comfortable ride and performance ability my performance pack offers. I'm not opposed to a little stiffer ride but I go pretty extensive with my last cars suspension and sacrificed a lot of ride comfort for the sake of handling.

So that being said, what's it going to take? Hopefully whatever it needs won't trash my comfort level but I would like to be able to say "I have a true G machine."

• Sponsors (?)

I have the lowered springs, Steda Tower Brace, G-track front end bracket and the IRS subframe support brackets....Works great. my only weakness is tires...still have those stock POS Pirelli P Zero Niro...waiting for spring to get some sticky tires

I've pulled a little over a lateral G in mine. Its stock with PP. I believe I had slightly higher numbers before I went to the autocross. There's a couple of back roads that I'm very familiar with that I believe I pulled 1.17 lateral left and 1.10 right. The 1.09 and 1.01 were from when I autocrossed an unfamiliar track. Can't wait to get out at Sebring and see what she does!
9C5F894F-C7B4-438E-8ECC-C7E03E90E56E.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've pulled a little over a lateral G in mine. Its stock with PP. I believe I had slightly higher numbers before I went to the autocross. There's a couple of back roads that I'm very familiar with that I believe I pulled 1.17 lateral left and 1.10 right. The 1.09 and 1.01 were from when I autocrossed an unfamiliar track. Can't wait to get out at Sebring and see what she does!
Challange accepted... I believe I can get 1g forward and there is no question with the UPR and Steeda suspension upgrades that over 1 lateral G can be accomplished with mine.
FWIW, my pops just bought the Tesla P90D that pulls over 1 forward G and he was upset to see my mustang walking past him yesterday "in mexico"

Question, what Tires are your running. With my stock tires, My acceleration is about the same .74, I've only pulled in the mid .80's on lateral G's but that's just driving to and from work.

@84Ttop. What pieces did you use from UPR? I reviewed your other thread that listed the Steeda parts but didn't notice the UPR stuff. I got Steeda jacking rails on the way. Not really a performance part but I'm putting them on so getting the car up and down will be easier.

Gradually strengthening the IRS will be my next few projects. Going to try to do things in order so there is no back tracking with each next mod and no parts that cancel each other out. Any incite on parts what's best or any parts that don't really pay off will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to waste money on stuff that is redundant or unnecessary. I plan on using poly diff inserts to keep the car somewhat comfortable. If this car sees any type of strip or track use at all, it will be very rare.

...and I'm sure your car will have no problem pulling a forward line G. Mexico is great this time of year.

@84Ttop. What pieces did you use from UPR? I reviewed your other thread that listed the Steeda parts but didn't notice the UPR stuff. I got Steeda jacking rails on the way. Not really a performance part but I'm putting them on so getting the car up and down will be easier.

Gradually strengthening the IRS will be my next few projects. Going to try to do things in order so there is no back tracking with each next mod and no parts that cancel each other out. Any incite on parts what's best or any parts that don't really pay off will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to waste money on stuff that is redundant or unnecessary. I plan on using poly diff inserts to keep the car somewhat comfortable. If this car sees any type of strip or track use at all, it will be very rare.

...and I'm sure your car will have no problem pulling a forward line G. Mexico is great this time of year.
UPR Toe links and Vertical links and drive shaft loop, I also bought my Viking shocks through them as well, their products truly are top quality and are a much better deal dollars and cents wise compared to Steeda. You can contact @Sharad for any of your UPR needs, top notch fellow right there

As far as order of installation, I pulled the entire rear subframe to do everything all in one shot with my car. Differential bushings are a must in my opinion but do add some NVH to the car, toe links and vertical links are also a huge improvement. The rear subframe brace, frame locators and aluminum bushing spacers really top the package off. I replaced the axles with DSS 1400hp pieces while I was in there as well

Got some poly diff bushings and the subframe locators on the way from steeda. Figure that's a good start. I think I'll tighten up the back end gradually, then bolt on some bracing over time, finally adding springs and sway bars. Shocks and struts as needed down the line.

Just put jacking rails on, Saturday.

Reviving this here for a second... Out of curiosity I was in "Mexico" on a set of street tires and wanted to see what the linear G meter would read on the street. This is what I was able to see:
20151026_155205.jpg

It's a shame that the battery has been disconnected since the last trip to the road course as I would have like to see those numbers there as well......
There are some traction issues as you could imagine but just hazing the tires in 1st gear with my auto car I was able to see .90 G in forward acceleration. I expect this to improve at the track and expect noticeable improvements after the headers and converter are installed this winter. It seems that we will be going to the track Saturday for the first time with my 15"