Engine Lifter preload on GT40 pedestal rockers

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
My question here is how much difference would it make by using 6.250 pushrods instead of the stock 6.248....
Checking the preload with the 6.248 old pushrods and I get just a tick less than 3/4 of a turn which is just right....

If I buy new pushrods, I would like to get some 080 wall thickness and they are easier to find at the 6.250 length..

Anyone been here before? Will it change my preload turns much?? I have the shims, but would prefer not to have to mess with them....
What does anyone think about reusing the old pushrods?? Cleaned up 4 in my solvent tank and they look fine???

Thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

We’re talking 2 thousandth of an inch here, which is negligible.

If doing any sort of aftermarket valve spring I’d recommend at least an .080 wall pushrod.

Reactions: 1 user
Mic them.... Stock and old ford racing l302 measure exact same as 6.250 lunati hardened 1 pc on last set I used... The just measure them differently.. Think the old ford racing replacement where listed as 6.272

Mic them.... Stock and old ford racing l302 measure exact same as 6.250 lunati hardened 1 pc on last set I used... The just measure them differently.. Think the old ford racing replacement where listed as 6.272
Wish I could, my mic only goes to 6"..... I used a tape measure on the originals from the engine and they are a hair under 6.250..
Some companies measure the pushrod before the ends are drilled... Alex's parts has an article on that....

Last edited:
We’re talking 2 thousandth of an inch here, which is negligible.

If doing any sort of aftermarket valve spring I’d recommend at least an .080 wall pushrod.
Agree with your thinking, just hoping someone with real life experience has done this??
I Purchased beehive springs from Alex's parts and they told me heavier walled pushrods are unnecessary and not needed....
Read alot of articles about using thicker pushrods and have thought if I do get new ones, I would like to upgrade to some 080 walls.... Any thicker would be a waste of money on this grocery getter engine.... I did see some cutaway pics ( Smith bros website I think) of thicker walled pushrods and the oiling hole gets pretty tiny.....
And again, what about RE using my old pushrods??
DSCF0824.JPG

Last edited:
Agree with your thinking, just hoping someone with real life experience has done this??
I Purchased beehive springs from Alex's parts and they told me heavier walled pushrods are unnecessary and not needed....
Read alot of articles about using thicker pushrods and have thought if I do get new ones, I would like to upgrade to some 080 walls.... Any thicker would be a waste of money on this grocery getter engine.... I did see some cutaway pics ( Smith bros website I think) of thicker walled pushrods and the oiling hole gets pretty tiny.....
And again, what about RE using my old pushrods??
DSCF0824.JPG
Beehive springs are sort of the exception to what I said as the rates are usually considerably less than a double spring, to attain the same level of valve control.

You would be fine to reuse your old ones.

I ended up with these ( ordered anyways) pushrods... Everything else is new and I just couldn't see using the old pushrods....
I got one piece ( no welded balls at each end) 080 wall thickness ( stock is 060) and they havent pushed on a valve spring a couple of trillion times.. Yes, a bit of overkill for my engine......
I do appreciate the comments and I know the old ones probably would have been fine.... oh well.....
These are Trick flow 6.250 pushrods from Summit......

Last edited:
All installed and preload is +/- 3/4 of a turn......
I wasn't comfortable with the pass side bank so after sleeping on it I loosened them all up re did them..... They were fine..
Tried out the smallest shim I have just for fun ( 010) and was surprised at how much it changed the preload... Be advised if you need to use the shims for preload adjustment...... Numbers on the packs are after I mic'd them.....
Watched #1 intake cycle and ran the timing to 10 degrees to help set the distributor for a hopefully quick first start......
And yes, there will be a new heater hose fitting on the intake......
DSCF1331.JPG

DSCF1330.JPG