Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Wreck highlights rule

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Jon

Founding Member
Nov 27, 1998
Canby, OR
I love NASCAR. Who can resist watching it for hours on end just to see the highly anticipated last lap (the only action of the race unless of course there are any wrecks during the race).
Anyway, post your views and vote.
By the way here is one person's view: Link (Consumption Junction home page so be careful at work.)
If you can't read it due to CJ website here is the story:

"There is an epidemic spreading.

It started some seventy years ago in Appalachia, presumably in the cabin of a modified Chevrolet loaded with moonshine as it sped down a dirt road pursued by the local authorities. The virus transmuted as it infected other hosts and soon acquired official recognition as it endangered the greater populous. Until recently those affected were primarily shotgun toting, wife-beating white trash hooked on cheap thrills and cheaper beer. But officials were overwhelmed when the disease was found to have spread so far they had to divide the population contaminated by this vicious contagion into classes, one named after a cigarette manufacturer. Now a simple six letter acronym describes the entirety of this terrible affliction:

NASCAR.

So stop reading if you are a fan. You are probably having a hard time anyway. I am about to dispel the belief that NASCAR is really a sport, much less a motorsport. Sure it involves engines and sweat and participants vying for a place atop a podium, but sports evolve, not devolve. Then again, if you are a fan, the aforementioned are probably foreign concepts imposed on your children by godless public school teachers whom are bent on spreading communism.

NASCAR sucks for so many reasons CJ doesn't have enough space on the server for me to list them all. But I will start at the top.

What motorsport actively suppresses technological innovations? Don't you think those cars will run faster (and I am not talking about removing the restrictor plates, BobbyJo) with three extra cams, forced induction, fuel injection, lighter wheels, et cetera? NASCAR winners are teams who can skirt the regulation or at least bend them. They are not those who put something totally new to the automotive world under the hood of a roll cage dressed up like a Ford Fusion.

Motorsports should represent the vanguard to all things powered by a combustion engine. What is proven on the track eventually trickles down the showroom floor. It should be a glimpse of the technology we may see on tomorrow's vehicles, from carbon fiber body panels to pneumatically actuated induction valves. NASCAR regulations are designed to stifle progress and create an "even" playing field, as if they were handed down from Vladimir Lenin himself.

More disturbing the rules seem to encourage collisions. I will concede that there has been some innovation with air brakes placed on the roofs and better harnesses securing the drivers. But collisions sell tickets and somehow attract corporate sponsors. However, NASCAR should not be a demolition derby with drivers running the gauntlet at the center of a figure-eight course. A crash is an eventuality that is more common in this motorsport than others, and it is really stupid. One of the things so cool about racing (real racing) is the rare occasion when an accident occurs. You wait through many starts and finishes, even seasons to see a spectacular crash. It is the haunting reminder that this is for real. NASCAR with its pack of cars running together offers it every Sunday, and sadly the sensation is diluted because the cars hold together, and it happens so often. Have you ever seen an open wheel crash? Probably in ESPN highlights, and I bet you wish that you were nowhere near it when it went down.

So this Sunday remember that are real sports to watch and better things to do. Watching NASCAR is a way for non-athletes to relate to those who share the same mundane task of driving a car. I drive to work every day, but I consider myself too smart to be enamored with this faux sport. I also don't feel a sense of comradery with drivers who only make left turns (I know there are street courses, but who actually watches them?) and talk trash in southern drawls at the end of each race as if honor and class have no place in motorsports.

Well, I will top them all: Dale Earnhardt was a fayggot.

And if you got anything to say to me, please write your responses carefully. They are liable to get posted here on CJ if your redneck passions override what little you have left of an 8th grade education."

View attachment 485324

nascar.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Support the REAL racing, locally. There are so many track, why waste your day watching pro wrestling...er i mean Nascar. Pretty much the same thing. I watch it, but due to the politics, I am not proud that I do. Now, back in the 80's and early 90's, when racing on tv was real, that was another story.

Wanna see some REAL racing...locally?
Willamette Speedway in Lebanon (by far the best racing around!)
River City Speedway in St Helens
Sunset Speedway in Banks
Grays Harbor in Elma
Cottage Grove Speedway
Tri Cities Raceway
Douglas County Speedway in Roseburg
Race City in Hermiston

just to name a few.

To me, it seems like the northwest is the only part of the country that does'nt support Nascar. The midwest, south, northeast seem to all support it hands down. I got into Nascar about 9 years ago. I've been to 6 different tracks and I'm going to the Kansas race this fall. Going to the track and camping outside the track for 4-5 days and seeing all the qualifying, Busch and/or truck race, and then the Cup drivers on Sunday is like nothing else. And the partying while camping outside the track is great. Crowds vary from 80,000 minimum at the smallest tracks, to 400,000 at Indianapolis for the Brickyard 400. In terms of sport loyalty, Nascar buries all other sports. Yes, it's a sport. I can't believe people that are so gung ho on drag racing can't appreciate a car going 130-200mph on a track with 42 other cars around you. Oh, it's just making 4 left turns. Get real. :rolleyes:

gospeedgo said:
Wanna see some REAL racing...locally?
Willamette Speedway in Lebanon (by far the best racing around!)
River City Speedway in St Helens
Sunset Speedway in Banks
Grays Harbor in Elma
Cottage Grove Speedway
Tri Cities Raceway
Douglas County Speedway in Roseburg
Race City in Hermiston

just to name a few.

Oregon Trail Rally, in Hillsboro. SCCA ProRally and ClubRally goes there once a year.

Darkness said:
Oregon Trail Rally, in Hillsboro. SCCA ProRally and ClubRally goes there once a year.

Havent been to one yet, but I always hear about them (usually the week AFTER they happened GRRRR)
I was just listing the roundy round stuff though. If you take into consideration all the oval, roadcourse, rally, and other motorsports..we got it made here.

Crzyhrse said:
To me, it seems like the northwest is the only part of the country that does'nt support Nascar. The midwest, south, northeast seem to all support it hands down. I got into Nascar about 9 years ago. I've been to 6 different tracks and I'm going to the Kansas race this fall. Going to the track and camping outside the track for 4-5 days and seeing all the qualifying, Busch and/or truck race, and then the Cup drivers on Sunday is like nothing else. And the partying while camping outside the track is great. Crowds vary from 80,000 minimum at the smallest tracks, to 400,000 at Indianapolis for the Brickyard 400. In terms of sport loyalty, Nascar buries all other sports. Yes, it's a sport. I can't believe people that are so gung ho on drag racing can't appreciate a car going 130-200mph on a track with 42 other cars around you. Oh, it's just making 4 left turns. Get real. :rolleyes:
Sport, yes you can consider it a sport, just like F1 or rally. But nascar is to F1 or rally as foosball is to soccer.

Darkness said:
Sport, yes you can consider it a sport, just like F1 or rally. But nascar is to F1 or rally as foosball is to soccer.

To each his own as to what branch of car racing you watch. All of them take alot of talent. It's the people that say their just going in circles, or they watch it just for the wrecks that are the mental midgets. What's drag racing? Going in a straight line for 1,320 feet. Not knocking it, but same difference.

Crzyhrse said:
To each his own as to what branch of car racing you watch. All of them take alot of talent. It's the people that say their just going in circles, or they watch it just for the wrecks that are the mental midgets. What's drag racing? Going in a straight line for 1,320 feet. Not knocking it, but same difference.
Talent is something nascar drivers need to stop bragging about!
Here's some talent:
Vid 1

Vid 2

Vid 3

:nice: You can drive like that when you dont have to worry about racing with 42 others that have restricter plates to keep them running so close and bump drafting you thru the corners.

Repect wise, the rally guys got mine. They have balls of steel to drive the way they do. But watching timed events for me just isnt as fun as having everyone trying to get to the flag at the same time.

Scooby5.0Doo said:
paul your just in love with gigi. i think cuz he drive old school. and when the wrc goes make to mechanical diffs hes going to be one of the fastest
Ehhh I just used Gigi as an example, its the only one I can find online that I could use. Pretty soon I'll have rally vids of my own :D

I'm with Jeff:

Support the REAL racing, locally. There are so many track, why waste your day watching pro wrestling...er i mean Nascar. Pretty much the same thing

I used to really enjoy nascar. Being the same age as him, I remember the 80s and 90s, and that was pretty good stuff. I've been a fan since I was about 8 or 9, cause my dad watched it a lot.

It seems now, especially the last few years with Nextel cup, they are trying to gear it too much towards mainstream folks. These same mainstream folks are obsessed with "reality TV" which is usually just a bunch of whiny people starting useless drama with each other. And this is what Nascar is turning in to.

I think nascar is slowly abandoning it's redneck roots, and I think it's terrible for the sport. Gearing it towards mainstream america is a good move financially, but I think Brian France is underestimating the short attention span of the average American. If it really does catch on as a mainstream interest, it will probably pass like a fad, leaving nascar with nothing, because their original fanbase was abandoned. Ask CART, you can't play with the rules drastically.

Thats just my opinion though. I have watched a race or two, and I will usually watch it if it's on, but I dont go out of my way anymore. You want some good old racin, head to a track around here on a saturday night. Its real racing, sure it has the drama too, but thats not the real focus. If you like the smell of race fuel and having dirt thrown on you, its well worth the few bucks to get in. Plus kids love it too!!