Little Help With Msd Street Fire Box

kcard

Dec 29, 2013
pittsfield ma
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Are one of these wire a ignition wire? I need to find ignition wire and tach wire. Never hooked one of these up it is a 1991 mustang gt and it is a msd street fire box.

• Sponsors (?)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Are one of these wire a ignition wire? I need to find ignition wire and tach wire. Never hooked one of these up it is a 1991 mustang gt and it is a msd street fire box.

The top pic is of your coil, and the bottom is of your solenoid. The best, easiest, safest way for you to go about wiring a used ignition amplifier from MSD is to probably do one of the following (in order of life safety)

1. Since you are new to this, and you do not know the difference between a ignition coil, and a starter solenoid,...it would be prudent to enlist the help/services of someone that does.

2. The coil, and the ignition box are capable of voltages in excess of 50,000 volts. You need to be real sure about what you are doing. There have been waay more than a few here that could probably tell you what it feels like to get hit w/ that voltage.

3. MSD has an entire web page w/ downloadable instruction manuals for all of their products that are very well defined, that will help you, or your friend through the hook up. THAT should be the very next thing you do.

I

I agree with you was just seeing i fit is easy to put together. i am having trouble with the were to put the tach wire and the ignition wire all the other wires i know where to put. I might have to call someone to help me

Here's some help, but as Mike suggested you may want to enlist the help of someone more knowledgeable.

The red/green wire is switched power for the ignition.
If you have only a MSD coil, the tan/yellow wire on the coil drives the tach. Don't use that wire if you have a MSD box.
Most MSD boxes have a tach connection just for the tach.

MSD wiring:

msd-ford-installation-w-harness-gif.71658

msd-ford-installation-wo-harness-gif.71659

Instead of using the battery negative terminal, attach the heavy gauge black wire to the body ground point by the windshield washer filler.

The battery common ground is a 10 gauge pigtail with the computer ground attached to it.
Picture courtesy timewarped1972
ground.jpg

Last edited:
The only trouble I have is where the ignition wire and the tach. Where is the red and del green wire and the green and yellow wires where do I find them. And thanks

LOOK closely on the MSD diagram. They are on the stock ford connector.

So I don't need the grey tach wire then or the magnetic pick up. That's where I was getting confused. Thanks again it is a street fire msd box sure they are the same setup
You will need to use the MSD tach connection. See www/msdignition.com for more information about your particular setup.