livernois pi intake swap questions

98GT

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2000
Flemington, NJ
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for the Livernois pi intake swap and just was curious what you guys did with your upper plenum and throttle body. I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money for small gains, but most importantly is that I want to use my stock hood.

Also figured I should do the water pump while i'm back there-

I have a 98 GT w/vortech s-1, front mount intercooler w/30# injectors so I'm thinking I may need 42's before a retune which seem to be hard to come by these days...

thanks for your input

• Sponsors (?)

98GT:

I do! There is a very light mark on the hood blanket where contact is made but not enough friction to ignite a fire, lol. I did have a little contact with the JLT Ram tube but, after some adjustment to the position of the tube, the contact stopped.

HTH,

Chris

My understanding is the livernois kit manifold is machined to compensate for the adapter plates. I think if you were to not use the plates like rustypwnz mentioned, the normal intake itself isnt the issue.

I couldnt believe some of the numbers guys are getting, 25rwhp is worth it to me. Problem is i have to get my old autologic retuned which is impossible apparently.... So i have to shell out for the x3 i guess. Hoping to gain 30rwhp w the intake and new tune. Add on the accufab plenum and 35 shouldnt be unrealistic assuming the x3 frees up some ponies over the autologic?

So are you saying that a stock PI intake will not clear the 96-98 GT hood?

AZmustang98:

No, the PI intake clears the 96-98 hood and works fine. The Livernois kit has adapater plates that are about 3/4" thick so they inlcude a PI intake that has "some" of the PI intake mating surface milled down so that the overall installed height (intake plus plates) increase is almost nothing. If you use the PI intake (stock, not with milled surfaces) and the Livernois adapter plates and a 75 mm Accufab throttlebody then the throttle body will rub on the hood blanket. If you use the Livernois (milled) PI intake then there is no clearance problem. My blanket has a rectangular indentation but it is a very light impression and the t/b remains nice and bright (like after I polished it up).

Chris

AZmustang98:

No, the PI intake clears the 96-98 hood and works fine. The Livernois kit has adapater plates that are about 3/4" thick so they inlcude a PI intake that has "some" of the PI intake mating surface milled down so that the overall installed height (intake plus plates) increase is almost nothing. If you use the PI intake (stock, not with milled surfaces) and the Livernois adapter plates and a 75 mm Accufab throttlebody then the throttle body will rub on the hood blanket. If you use the Livernois (milled) PI intake then there is no clearance problem. My blanket has a rectangular indentation but it is a very light impression and the t/b remains nice and bright (like after I polished it up).

Chris

Thanks for the reply

Why use the Livernois adapter plates if the PI intake works just fine on NPI heads?

AZmustang98:

I chose the kit because I like the concept of the adapter plates rather than just relying on RTV in a couple of spots on the heads where the gaskets don't mate up very well. At the time, I don't think there was much experience with the "RTV method" and I didn't mind spending the cash on the kit. I am quite happy with the kit and recommend it but it may seem pricey if you're on a tight budget.

HTH,

Chris

AZ, thanks for the replies- I ordered my kit and I think I'm going to go w/the accufab setup. I just feel more comfortable w/the adapter plates than just the RTV. Plus I priced both options out and by the time you buy the hoses and gaskets, etc. to accompany the PI intake (that come with the livernois kit), It didn't seem like a huge savings anymore.