Roush Lizstick Questions

sal07b

Mar 18, 2004
Springboro Ohio
I know that there aren't many Lizstick cars out there, but I have a few questions.

1. What is the paint code for Lizstick?
2. How many cars were produced in this color?
3. Anyone know if 2001 #314 is Lizstick?
4. Can touch-up paint still be purchased? How much?
5. What was the up-charge for this paint?

I'm checking into a car in PA that is supposedly Lizstick. I have a few questions into the owner, but wanted to get my "ducks in a row" for when he responds. I've been watching for one this color for a while, and they don't come up very often. Obviously I like the more rare colors. Would be cool to have one of 19 in "Deep Metallic Violet" and one in Lizstick (given they didn't make many in this color). Any informaiton would be greatly appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

Dave,

I don't know about that particular car...only Pati could tell you. As for the paint, if anyone truly owns a "Lizstick" red car then Saleen is pretty good about releasing the paint, or enough to repair what you need repainted to your bodyshop. I do know that if you own that color, again Saleen will provide touch up free of charge.

If you don't and can't claim you own one of those cars Saleen won't help you at all. It is thei color and they are nazi's about letting any go. Over the years I know that house of color has created a color so close it would be difficult to tell. The problem is it's impossible to match because of the exact amount of flake in it. Again, if you own a real lizstick car then Saleen is easy to deal with. No paint code. It's just their recipe.

I know your wife needs a lizstick vert. Good luck.

I can offer a little insight, but not much...

There wouldn't be a paint code for Lizstick Red as it's a proprietary color, so if it's not factory paint, it would be imitation... it was probably at least a $5K premium back then; now I think it's $13K (but don't quote me). Paint would certainly be available through Saleen after some red tape. Given the price premium, few are made in these custom colors.

I think the original Ford color would have been black... if you were really curious, look under the dash or in the trunk for metal painted black (or whatever color).

You might have to rely on the owner to provide a little documentation or contact Team Saleen -- see http://www.saleen.com/membership_info.htm for the e-mail address.

The Saleen Book shows the last 3 digits of the VIN are 542, it's a supercharged Speedster with the 10" rear wheel upgrade, painted door panels, mats, chrome wheels and a black top.

Sounds like a nice ride!

I think the original Ford color would have been black... if you were really curious, look under the dash or in the trunk for metal painted black (or whatever color).

There would be no hidden paint because Saleen completely tears down to the shell S281s that they paint in their own custom colors. Now thats what they currently do, I dont know if thats always been common practice or not.

Dave,

I don't know about that particular car...only Pati could tell you. As for the paint, if anyone truly owns a "Lizstick" red car then Saleen is pretty good about releasing the paint, or enough to repair what you need repainted to your bodyshop. I do know that if you own that color, again Saleen will provide touch up free of charge.

If you don't and can't claim you own one of those cars Saleen won't help you at all. It is thei color and they are nazi's about letting any go. Over the years I know that house of color has created a color so close it would be difficult to tell. The problem is it's impossible to match because of the exact amount of flake in it. Again, if you own a real lizstick car then Saleen is easy to deal with. No paint code. It's just their recipe.

I know your wife needs a lizstick vert. Good luck.

Yea, you hit it on the head. For those that don't know, my wife's name is Liz and her favorite color is red. She saw a Lizstick car at the Saleen show a few years ago (where I met Marcus and others) and decided she had to have one. Needless to say, they are extremely hard to come by. I'll let everyone know if I end up getting it. Not sure what I think about getting her a s/c vert that will be faster then mine! I'll have to fix that w/ more mods to mine!! Thanks to everyone for the information...

hmmm where to start..........

As stated there is no paint code for Lizstick, to buy paint you have to prove you own a lizstick car, or at least have your car well known by one of the higher ups.

I've never had a problem ordering paint, whatever the quantity, although I get grief from Carlos......:rolleyes: ........about what did I do to the car now.........:shrug:

Up until my car, to be repainted lizstick you started out with a silver car, we were able to convince Saleen to do mine off a torch red car, since silver 03 cobras were hard to come by at the time, now they'll do it off a red base

Cost wise up until 04 it was a $6000 premium for the Saleen custom colors with Extreme Rainbow being $11000, now there is only a $1000 difference.

Never got any touch up paint for free, but then I usually buy it by the quart and take a trip down to pick it up.

From the Saleen book it sounds like 01-314 is not Lizstick as the description will say a abreviation of Custom Paint.

Saleen does not completely tear down the cars to repaint...........I can point out the areas of my car that were not repainted.

btw watch out I've run into a few cars that claimed they were Lizstick, but were
not, because the owner didn't know any different.

hmmm where to start..........

As stated there is no paint code for Lizstick, to buy paint you have to prove you own a lizstick car, or at least have your car well known by one of the higher ups.

I've never had a problem ordering paint, whatever the quantity, although I get grief from Carlos......:rolleyes: ........about what did I do to the car now.........:shrug:

Up until my car, to be repainted lizstick you started out with a silver car, we were able to convince Saleen to do mine off a torch red car, since silver 03 cobras were hard to come by at the time, now they'll do it off a red base

Cost wise up until 04 it was a $6000 premium for the Saleen custom colors with Extreme Rainbow being $11000, now there is only a $1000 difference.

Never got any touch up paint for free, but then I usually buy it by the quart and take a trip down to pick it up.

From the Saleen book it sounds like 01-314 is not Lizstick as the description will say a abreviation of Custom Paint.

Saleen does not completely tear down the cars to repaint...........I can point out the areas of my car that were not repainted.

btw watch out I've run into a few cars that claimed they were Lizstick, but were
not, because the owner didn't know any different.

Dave, pm me or email me if I can help you, short of selling you my car.......:D .......

I knew you'd show up! I looked the car up in the Saleen book as well, but didn't see anything to indicate it was Lizstick as well. My wife! She can't want some easy to come-by stinkin ol' white one (lol...Robert :stick: ), no she want's a color that I can't get :bang: . You know you like the new body style Saleens. Why don't you just sell me that ol' red one of yours and get a new one? :D

BTW: Just in case, think you could pick me up 5-6 gallons since you've got the "hook-uP"?? (Yea right...)

Our Lizstick

Hey guys,

Usually a "lurker" only but thought I'd weigh-in on this thread.

In August of 2005 we purchased 99-02 directly from Saleen. The car is the first S281 that was painted in Lizstick Red. The color was developed for Liz Saleen and she tells some great stories about what she put the guys through getting the color "just right".

99-02 is an SC Speedster that was built specifically for Liz Saleen and it served as her daily driver until we bought it in 2005. Liz really did drive the car nearly every day as it had 50,000+ miles we we got her.

We saw it for the first time three or four years ago at the Saleen Show and I "drooled" over the car for hours (never expecting that some day I would have the opportunity to own it).

The car has some paint issues (clearcoat peeling off front valance & something under the clearcoat on the wing) but it still draws a crowd wherever we take her. Eventually I want to do a total re-paint (but it will have to wait for now).

Jim & Vicki Couture

PS for Sal - You probably don't remember me but we had dinner at the Black Angus with you and the other people that went to the Saleen Show from Washington and Oregon.

BTW - You're car is the reason I'm in this predicament!!

Heh, heh, sorry.......I apologize for my part in this situation........:rolleyes:

Besides my having a few other cars in the pipeline, I'm still kind of blah with the new body style cars, so I don't think I'll be buying another Saleen anytime soon, so I won't be able to help you there.

As for the paint............I do currently have a pretty good amount of it in my hands right now, but unfortuantely that is already alocated for a project, when I get around to it...................:nice:

I'm not being much help today am I..............:shrug:

Hey guys,

Usually a "lurker" only but thought I'd weigh-in on this thread.

In August of 2005 we purchased 99-02 directly from Saleen. The car is the first S281 that was painted in Lizstick Red. The color was developed for Liz Saleen and she tells some great stories about what she put the guys through getting the color "just right".

99-02 is an SC Speedster that was built specifically for Liz Saleen and it served as her daily driver until we bought it in 2005. Liz really did drive the car nearly every day as it had 50,000+ miles we we got her.

We saw it for the first time three or four years ago at the Saleen Show and I "drooled" over the car for hours (never expecting that some day I would have the opportunity to own it).

The car has some paint issues (clearcoat peeling off front valance & something under the clearcoat on the wing) but it still draws a crowd wherever we take her. Eventually I want to do a total re-paint (but it will have to wait for now).

Jim & Vicki Couture

PS for Sal - You probably don't remember me but we had dinner at the Black Angus with you and the other people that went to the Saleen Show from Washington and Oregon.

I was thinking you and your wife were the ones in the black s281 (there were two, one with some cool flames on the heat extractor portions of the hood and tonneau. Then I noticed that you didn't have a black s281 listed in your signature. Which car was yours? Sorry, that was a while ago. I do remember that we had a great time with your group, I believe I took a bunch of pictures of your group in front of the S7 at the factory. That whole trip is a highlight for us. We now live in Ohio, so I'm glad we went while we were in Phoenix!

Heh, heh, sorry.......I apologize for my part in this situation........:rolleyes:

Besides my having a few other cars in the pipeline, I'm still kind of blah with the new body style cars, so I don't think I'll be buying another Saleen anytime soon, so I won't be able to help you there.

As for the paint............I do currently have a pretty good amount of it in my hands right now, but unfortuantely that is already alocated for a project, when I get around to it...................:nice:

I'm not being much help today am I..............:shrug:

No actually you aren't :nonono: . It's OK Kevin, someone has to own the perfect Saleen (IMHO). If I were to order one it would have been exactly like yours. You've got the best of about three worlds, s/c cobra base, one-off paint, and a Saleen. As if that wasn't enough you added the HRE's (I think I remember that's what you put on the car). Good thing or it probably wouldn't have stood out in the crowd...:rlaugh: Just know that if you ever want to sell it that you've got a buyer...

We had a Torch Red 03 Cobra Vert (w/Saleen Bar and Speedster Cover) and a Blue 04 Lightning (support vehicle). The Black Speedster with the Flames is still owned by a fellow Mustangs Northwest club member.

The other Blk S281 was owned by Bart Johnson from Oregon (I think that was at least 2 cars ago for him!).

I still think that your car is one of the best "Budget" cars that I have seen!

Jim

Thanks. I've done quite a bit to it since then. I don't know if it will be worth more as a Budget car in the future, but id really doesn't matter. I have only seen one other the same color, and it is in the Saleen book for 1996. Beisdes, I'd have to sell it and I don't plan to...:D

that's yours.... COOL... :nice:

mine's in the '96 section too, only a small picture, then its in there again at the registry index section, but it's a black and white pic so you can't see the tangerine-ness

:D

EDGE

I didn't say that one was mine. Mine is identical (except I don't have the hard tonneau), but that one isn't a Budget car. I was just saying that you don't see many cars in this color (19 to be exact)...:D

Where in Ohio?

Sal,

Sorry it's been a while - Tony from WI here. (lived in So Cal for 2 years). We've talked a bunch before...assume you would remember me.

Where in Ohio are you??

You need to drive down to Indy for some of the SCOA events! The SAAC event in May (Spring Fling) is a MUST!

Hope to see you "around" here in the midwest sometime.

Take care,

Tony
1999 S281-SC #008
Laser Red Speedster