Locating the IAC Valve?

tahldain

May 16, 2004
First off, I'm a total newb when it comes to car repair, so break out the kid gloves and laymans terms. =)

Started having a low idle problem with my baby (2001 V6) a few weeks ago, and versus paying a mechanic to look at it, I decided now was the time to learn how to maintain her myself. I mean come on, I can't own a Mustang and let everyone else treat her right while I stand on the sidelines can I?

At any rate, my best friend, who unfortunately now lives three states away, is pointing his finger at the Idle Air Control Valve, which having done some research, I completely concur with... problem is, where is it exactly?

I managed to mistakenly identify it as the TPS the first time, which I promptly put back on and emitted a great sigh of relief when the car started back up!

I have the Haynes manual for this car, but it's the two pictures regarding the IAC are useless in finding it... so I'm begging for help to my stupid question:

Can anyone tell me where the IAC is on a 2001 V6, preferrably in relation to the TPS since I know where that is, and what your recommendation is for cleaning fluid?

Sorry for the stupid question, but if I'm gonna learn, I gotta start somewhere! =p

• Sponsors (?)

IAC is actually on the plastic tubing for the Air Intake. The tubing that holds the air filter. It is the one that has a plug in it.

Next time for reference, go to the parts store of your choice and ask to look at one then you know what you are looking for!

Travis