Locked-Out Timing?

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
2,773
17
89
Dallas, GA
Today I heard someone mention it so I tried it by pulling the plug to adjust the timing, set it to 36* advance, right under where the engine starts to knock, and left the plug out so the computer couldn't advance the timing, and drove it. It felt a little off at low rpms but seemed to really come to life. It was hard to tell because it was a 35mph road near residentials and traction was limited but the engine seemsed quite strong, the butt dyno isn't very accurate either. I am thinking of doing this at the track tomorow to see what it does. Does anyone else do this? I wouldn't leave it like this for normal driving but for race purposes.
 
Guys do it alot with blowers. For me it gained a bunch of torque down low off idle and more power across the board. Exhaust sounded more nasty on WOT also. Its safe and gaurantees that you wont be blowing head gaskets from the computer advancing timing too far under boost. Id keep running spout out except my only problem was I got a surging idle from it. The cobra ECU works awesome with blowers so Im leaving it in.
 
When I said if felt off at low rpm's I was meaning right around idle and slightly above, but it really seemed to come alive above that. Yeah, I really could tell by the nasty lope and sound. I think I'll try it at the track tomorow.

I could image it would be bad for fuel economy, emmisions and maby normal driving but that's not what my car is about.
 
Ryde On is right on. also a lot of the SN guys do it cuz they have serious pinging issues (even the N/A SN guys).

i have not done it - are there any issues with start-up or cold running (when having it be like me - a little retarded - is good. :) )?
 
No-Go

Went to the track tonight and tested this out at both 34 and 36 degrees, made me run high 8.8 and 8.9 at 81mph. I noticed that it made my problem worse, tended to bog off the line. Put it back to 15* and put the prom back in and that helped a lot. Maby it would work well if I could leave off the line at WOT, but I can't do that yet.