LONG: Help diagnose rear diff noise - 1997 Cobra

calgarycobra

Aug 8, 2004
1997 Cobra, 60K miles, bone stock. Rear diff is an 8.8, same at GT for past many, many years.

I have been noticing quite a bit of noise coming from the rear diff on the car. At slow speeds (<15mph), the noise is either not there or is barely noticeable. At higher speeds, it becomes a kinda loud noise, which is constant in pitch and level a a specific speed. The noise does not change pitch, level, or go away when I step on the brakes. I do not have a point of reference for how loud a rear should be in a late model GT/Cobra, so it might be completely normal.

I've had rear diff gear sets installed incorrectly in the past which resulted in 'howl' coming from the rear end. The noise I am hearing is definitely not the same as the 'howl' I have had in the past, its more like a dull grinding noise. Like something is rubbing, or a bad bearing (eg: outer axle bearing).

I took the rear apart today to try and narrow down the problem. With the rear on jackstands, I spun the rear wheels. It seems like I can hear something coming from the rear end while I turn by hand. Its not obvious, and the rear turns smoothly, but does require a moderate amount of effort. Again, I do not have a point of reference for how loud a rear should be, so it might be completely normal.

Figuring that there might be something wrong, and feeling motivated (maybe stupidly), I removed the rear wheels, rear brake calipers, rear caliper mounts and the rear discs. I then turned the rear axles by hand and the noise was the same. I then pulled the driveshaft and turned the axles again and still the same noise. I then pulled the center-section cover, removed the wrist-pin and c-clips and pulled the axles. Neither wrist-pin or c-clips show any signs of abnormal wear (grooves, galling, etc). I then turned the gearset by hand, and while it turns smoothly, it seems to make a moderate amount of noise while turning.

So basically I *think* I've eliminated rear brake noise, U-joint and outer axle bearing as sources of the noise. Now I am down to:

1) Pinion bearing/race
2) Carrier bearing(s)

Can I use a torque wrench to see how much resistance the rear gear set is providing?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.

Do 8.8 traction-lok rear make a good deal of noise? I had the rear diff fluid changed at a 'Mr Lube' about a year ago (similar to Jiffy Lube). They use a vacuum to suck the old fluid out and then put new fluid in. Now I know that 8.8 trac-loks need the friction modifier gunk from ford. I know I asked the guy at the Mr Lube if they were going to put the friction modifier in with the new fluid, and I am pretty sure he told me that since they were putting in GL-5* 80-90w I didnt need the friction modifier.

TIA for your responses.

P.S. Also posted to RAMFM and SVT Tech section in stangnet forums.

• Sponsors (?)

I second this, check the pinoin bearing. My 01 gt had 25 k on it when the rear seal/bearing went,similar noise coming from the rear. If the pinion seal went the bearing might go too and cause the noise......jj :shrug:

tomustang said:
outer axle bearings.

same things wrong in my cobra. was the same with the GT.

If you had read my post you would have noticed that with the axles removed, the noise seems to still come from the center section.

I am thinking it might be pinion bearing. I'll replace the outer bearings at the same time.