Exhaust Longtube Install Tips

Does any one have some tricks they want to share?

I was trying to put my BBK longtubes on lastnight, the passenger side went fine. The driver side is a different story.

The last time I put a set on my car had a tubular k member, It just slid in from the top.

Do I have to undo the steering link or can I just undo the motor mounts and lift the engine some?

• Sponsors (?)

I ran into the same problem. I just pulled the passenger side header back off, picked the motor up a little and had a buddy pull it a little toward the passenger side and slid the driver side header right in.

I ran into the same problem. I just pulled the passenger side header back off, picked the motor up a little and had a buddy pull it a little toward the passenger side and slid the driver side header right in.

Hey friend, did you have the motor up enough to possibly swap out the motor mounts during the install? I was thinking about replacing mine when I install my LTs.

Hey friend, did you have the motor up enough to possibly swap out the motor mounts during the install? I was thinking about replacing mine when I install my LTs.

I rebuilt my motor and installed the headers when I put the entire motor back into the car so my new motor mounts were already on, but you should be able to do it no problem. It only has to come up a few inches to clear the motor mounts from the k member.

Yeah I jacked the motor up and took off the driver side mount and could of done the passenger side also if needed.

I am a big fan of long tubes. On my last car I went from stock to equal lenght to longtubes. that car seemed to just pull longer and harder thru the rpms with the long tubes.
The equal lengths were a pain to put on and pain to do things like plugs when they were on.

This car I am taking off the unequal lenght shorties and going with BBK 1 5/8" long tubes.

Good to hear that they aren't too difficult to put in providing the car is off the ground that high. Being as I will be putting in a rebuilt engine once its finished with new headers on, do any of you suggest putting the headers on the engine before putting the engine into the bay or no? I feel like it may be one more thing to get in the way of rebolting the engine to the trans but I could be entirely talking out of my butt right now.