LOOK AT THIS THREAD!!!! is this my rear brake line?

blackstangt

May 31, 2004
ny
I was dropping my brother off at work (he owns an 04 wrx and it breaks a lot) and on the way home I started hearing a metal scraping noise, and since i was a couple blocks from home, I drove it. Looked under the car and one of the rear lines hanging under the subframe connector on the pass side is sheared. nothing came out, so I assume it's a brake line for my rear drum brakes. Am I correct, How do I fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

all the brakes normally work, this happened today, the cable is broken so one brake may not be working, as for the e-brake, it has never been tight, but did work, i gonna check it now.

If you broke your brake line, it would have to have had some kind of force applied to it and it would be spilling fluid out and your brake pedal would hit the floor, so it does sound like your handbrake cable. Do you have any pics? There are 2 hardlines in the rear and they attach to the soft line on top of the center diff, so if you did need to change out a line back there it would be a piece of cake.

blackstanggt - sounds like you are a little confused. The rear brakes are NOT cable operated when you dirve, they are hydraulic just like the front brakes. Now the emergancy brake is cable operated, there is one cable that is attached to the ebrake handle, and then that cable is connected to two cables which go to both rear wheels. It sounds like one of those cables broke.

Mario

thanks 86t-top, i jacked the rear, checked the reg brakes and then the e-brake, and it was just the pass side e-brake cable, I tied it up temporarily, I'll replace it during the week.