Looking At A 66 Mustang, Want Some Advice

Cdashley

Oct 4, 2012
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I currently drive a 95 f150, and am looking at getting a 66 mustang. It has been stripped, sanded and primed. Both the hood and trunk have been replaced and it does run, just has a bit of a "grind" in first gear, like a tooth is missing on the gear prolly. It's the 200 cu in 6 cylinder, and is a complete car, with all parts and badges. Owner says the only rust in the floor was about the size of a quarter, but was remetaled

Has 105 k on the odo. Drivers side door was replaced in the 70s because of a dent made witha tractor.

What do you guys think this is worth? The owner says itl take about $2500 more to have a " nice little car"

Value?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would say the value of the car will depend on what you intend to do with it.

I would check the floors out for sure especially where the toe board turns up toward the firewall.
Pour a 1/2 gallon of water across the cowl (if he'll let you) and see if you are getting any water to the interior. A rusted cowl is a lot of work to repair.
It's a 6 cyl car from where? Dearborn, New Jersey, San Hose? Where did it spend its life?
Likely has drum brakes on all corners which will propably need attention
That grind in the tranny means it has to come out. Trans might as well be shot completely IMO.
If the trans has to come out you might as well check the clutch condition.
Was the motor rebuilt?? Compression check to see how the cylinders are fairing.

This list could go on but my point is if you are going to chase down everything then price it accordingly. It's a 6cyl coupe so not a whole lot of collectability there from a numbers or popularity perspective on the resale front.

Hard to throw a number at it w/o seeing it (any pics) but if it's a solid car you'll still need all those fix ups plus a decent paint job which can run $800-1500 for a decent daily driver quality. Keep that in mind.

Post some pics if possible. Good luck.

$2,000 not a penny more!!!! :jester:

Seriously though, that's my ballpark going off the limited information and no pictures(this is assuming it's mostly assembled and is able to be driven say around the block). There are just too many factors. Also, it'll be hard to determine the actual mileage based on the rolled over odometer. Could be 205,000...depends on the overall condition of the car, except he has already torn into.

photo 1 (1).JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG

Whats up with that passenger door lower corner and the front drivers fender? Thats rust that needs fixed and that alone can cost you 1k. I personally do not think a T code coupe, that is apart and has rusty bits is worth more than 2k. But, I get called a snob a lot.

A Plain Jane/6-cylinder/3-speed/coupe with OK paint and driving well has a top retail value of $6000 at best. Add what he wants to what it will cost you to get it into the above mentioned condition and see if it makes sense to you. If it is something YOU WANT and will keep, it may be worth a small amount more than that $6K to get it there, being that you will know what has and hasn't been done/done properly.
My $.02,
Gene

with the 6,tranny grinding ,the rust and the fact its taken apart $1500 is pushing it.
the motor looks like it hasnt been touched so it probably wont be long before you will have to rebuild it. you can bet the suspension is in rough condition as well. i would make a lower offer and see what happens .odds are any one that looks at the car will do the same.

with the 6,tranny grinding ,the rust and the fact its taken apart $1500 is pushing it.
the motor looks like it hasnt been touched so it probably wont be long before you will have to rebuild it. you can bet the suspension is in rough condition as well. i would make a lower offer and see what happens .odds are any one that looks at the car will do the same.
Yea. he said suspension isnt bad, leaf springs have average rust, but does not look like it needs frame off work. It is taken apart, but all parts come with it. I think Im gunna check it out this weekend, and if all is as expected, maybe offer 1500. He started the motor up today for the first time in 4 months an it fired up first try. he said he just put some gas in the carb, and let it run.

He started the motor up today for the first time in 4 months an it fired up first try. he said he just put some gas in the carb, and let it run.

That's because it's a 200ci. Those things are bullet proof.

What are your plans for the car? If you're planning a somewhat completely stock restoration/refurbishment, I'd look for a more complete car. Even if he has all the interior and trim parts, chances are they won't be in any condition to go back on the car. And even the cheapest reproduction parts will cost you more than just finding a more complete car.
To me, this would be the perfect car for someone just looking for a toy/cruiser kind of car. Get the rust fixed, do some good body prep with a decent single stage paint, get it running good, and continue to fix it up as you drive it. Might even save some money by going a little modified instead of stock; like using decent used SN95 Mustang seats instead of refurbishing the stock pieces, etc... Just something fun like that.

I agree $1,500 tops, it is going to take some serious cash to get it to daily driver status. I would ditch the 6 cylinder and just do the V8 swap, would be about the same cost and you would be happier with the result. Mine was a 6 cylinder originally, that thing almost killed me trying to pass people on two lane country roads.