Looking at this dyno..tell me my shiftpoints.

Stangfreak95

add a 4
Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
In your sister. If none, your mom
My FTI custom cam's power range is roughly from 2600-5600, according to the cam card . I'm pretty sure my dyno would look similar to this one. (Not mine....someone else from this forum :D )
3rdpull_wide_and_flat_torque_curve.gif

I'll be trying all sort of different "combos" but knowing my power range and looking at this dyno, where do you all think would be my best shiftpoints ?

I also have 3:90 gears..

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

The best way to figure out shift points is to use a calculator. Off hand, from looking at that graph, I'd probably start by shifting at 5800. The power is there to shift higher, but I kinda wonder about the erratic power readings closer to 6000... I wonder if the valvetrain is crashing.

Dave

I've had this dynosheet since last year. I asked Ed to make me a cam so I can have similar torque lines and power through 5500. Who ever this belongs to....

So around 5800 then ?
Could anybody tell me (or give me a linK) to figure out where to shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nds to 3rd, 3rd to 4th ?

What tranny do you have?

I will assume a T5...need to know what tranny b/c of the different gearing.

On the 1-2 shift I would go up to 6100 b/c of the steep 1st gear and low 2nd gear in the T5, then do 6000 on the 2-3 and 5800 on the 3-4.

Troy

I ran that torque curve and got these shift points. The points are alittle beyond the rpm range of my Excel sheet so I guessed as closely as I could where the TE curves would have crossed if the dyno went to 6500 rpm. If you download my Excel sheet it will give you div/0 errors for the points but you can look at the TE curves and go from there.

1-2: 6400 rpm
2-3: 6200 rpm
3-4: 6100 rpm

Redsnk95 said:
What tranny do you have?

I will assume a T5...need to know what tranny b/c of the different gearing.

On the 1-2 shift I would go up to 6100 b/c of the steep 1st gear and low 2nd gear in the T5, then do 6000 on the 2-3 and 5800 on the 3-4.

Thats exactly what I would have said. Who has the Excell spreadsheat shift point caclulator? I have one saved on my computer at work, but I'm at home now

That dyno sheet closely resembles mine. Last time at the track I was shifting about 6100rpm 1-2, and then like 5900-6000 on the rest. You can see that got me 12.8 @ 108, but I know there is more it in, especially with traction and tuning.

How bizarre!

I'm looking through old dyno threads for some GT40 combos and I see a sheet from the same shop I use and then realize that I'm the guy on the sheet, lol.

I never even knew you guys were talking about me, but hey, I got some shift points that will help if I can ever get to the track.

Some were asking about the flutter type looking readings at 6k. That is what happens when you run outta air with the stock tb and peg the stock maf.

Later
Grady