looking for a write up for doing drum brakes

• Sponsors (?)

Hey I have a great idea for you!

Take $15 to your local autoparts store and go buy a HAYES or CHILTONS repair manual for your car. It has a complete step-by-step-by-step instructions with PICTURES!

Basic maintenance is not tech!

Matt90GT said:
Hey I have a great idea for you!

Take $15 to your local autoparts store and go buy a HAYES or CHILTONS repair manual for your car. It has a complete step-by-step-by-step instructions with PICTURES!

Basic maintenance is not tech!
Thanks for the help, its funny I can basically do anything on cars, but I have had 0 experaince with drum brakes.

Get the book, jack up the car, take off both drums, but work on only ONE at a time. When you take it apart the first time all kinds of stuff will be falling out. You can use the other side for reference. Not too hard at all. Plus if you mess up you still have your front brakes! LOL J/K you will have no problem.

I'm clueless with the drum brakes as well. I have TWO of those great $15 books you cna buy and all they do is tell you to do side at a time an take the stuff apart, then installation is reverse of removal. I have my axle out of my car and basically a shell right now, and brake parts sitting in bags. I could use some help if anyone has a step-by-step too.

I have 4 tips.
1) Dont breathe the dust
2) Clean everything with brake clean so that you can see your work.
3) Do one side at a time, have a pic or another car available to compare.
4) Spend the 20-25 bucks to get the brake tools to make it easy.

I forget which book I have, but it does have a step by step teardown and reassemble of the rear drums...with pictures even! I think its as good as a step by step can get. Mine is the one that has a red LX on the front.