Looking for someone to do a auto to T5 swap in Tampa area

twogts4us

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Dunedin, FL
...for my son's 92 LX 5.0L vert. The auto is trashed, slipping badly. Also the main deal is leaking. It needs some help.
I'm looking for someone who can do this swap from start to finish, providing all the necessary parts, and making it look like it came from the factory with the 5 spd. Is there anyone in the Tampa area that can do it and do it right?

Thanks!
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think he is looking for someone to help him out. I think he is looking for someone to just do the work. Like a business transaction, "I pay you, you do the work". You should check out the Orlando area, there are a few reputable mustang shops around here and not to far of a drive, the question is, how much are you willing to pay?

I dont think he is looking for someone to help him out. I think he is looking for someone to just do the work. Like a business transaction, "I pay you, you do the work".

Bingo!:nice:

You should check out the Orlando area, there are a few reputable mustang shops around here and not to far of a drive, the question is, how much are you willing to pay?

That's a good idea - ORL is not too far.

I guess I wouldn't mind assembling the parts, but I really don't want to do the work myself. When my 02 GT was totaled, my back was also wrecked. Sliding underneath a car has lost its appeal.

So, does anyone have such a shopping list? I guess I'd be seeking a rebuilt T5 (as opposed to used...or 'new'). I also know I'd need a bellhousing, pedal assembly, beyond that I really don't know...

Bell housing
Transmission
Clutch fork and throw out bearing
Shifter
Lower and upper shift boot
Tunnel trim ring. Only found on t5 cars
Speedo sensor
Neutral safety switch
Pedal assembly
Clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster
Clutch cable
Beer
Smokes
Hamburgers
Doublehump crossmember
Clutch
Flywheel
Console trim for new shifter
Bandaids
Tylenol
Sailor jerry
Spring for new bolts,nuts, and pedal covers. Maybe a new shift knob if you don't like the stocker.

check out Astro Performance for a rebuilt transmission, Tony is awesome to work with. i personally bought their cobra spec T5 and got it for just south of a grand. he lives about 3 hours north of st. pete (driving in some hellishness rain) you can get a good transmission for a good price just by going to pick it up from him. but seriously check out Astro Performance, they got a rebuilt unit for as little as 600 bucks IIRC. that way you know that you are getting a top perfectly built tranny with a warranty.

Tony could also help you with pretty much all of the other parts you need to slap this project together. he has a warehouse with nothing but manual trans. i almost believe he deals with mostly T5s.

Bell housing...

Can I substitute Aleve for Tylenol? :nice: Seriously, thanks very much for the list...

check out Astro Performance for a rebuilt transmission, Tony is awesome to work with. i personally bought their cobra spec T5 and got it for just south of a grand. he lives about 3 hours north of st. pete (driving in some hellishness rain) you can get a good transmission for a good price just by going to pick it up from him. but seriously check out Astro Performance, they got a rebuilt unit for as little as 600 bucks IIRC. that way you know that you are getting a top perfectly built tranny with a warranty.

Tony could also help you with pretty much all of the other parts you need to slap this project together. he has a warehouse with nothing but manual trans. i almost believe he deals with mostly T5s.

...and thank you for the lead. I looked into Astro a long time ago...I can't even recall what I was looking for. I'll contact Tony and see what he can do for us.

THANKS VERY MUCH! :flag: