Looking To Buy A New Exhaust

redneck15431

May 13, 2006
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a new exhaust system for my car. I am finishing this years mods and before I put it back on the ground I want to install a new exhaust. It's way overdue. I've been needing to change it for some time now...I changed out my damaged rear GT bumper cover for a Cobra one and now can change out the dumps at the bumper for some tail pipes. I currently have the Mac setup and it looks odd with the dumps hanging below the bumper cover. Anyways, I changed out my headers for BBK 1 3/4 long tubes and a new 2.5" X pipe. I hooked the exhaust up out of curiosity and started it, and it sounds way more raspy than before. I am not really bothered by that, but I still need a new exhaust.

I really do like the sound of Mac, their mufflers are sort of tailored to that deep throaty mean sound. I have relatives that have a 393 fox with Mac Pro Dumps, and I really, really love the way it sounds. It's been a few years since I've rode in it, but I remember a lot of loud resonating while sitting inside of the car. I do not drive the car often, but on a nice day when I do decide to pull it out of the garage for a cruise or take it to work, a degree of comfortability is important..especially if my wife is with me. Also, with the Mac Pro Dumps, I am pretty concerned about the fumes coming into the car while moving at low speeds/sitting still. I really do like the sound of the Dumps, but I will be rather upset with the fact I wasted money if I am not happy with the "experience" of them. With all that in mind, I am looking for an exhaust setup with a sound like that of the Mac Pro Dumps with tailpipes. Alternatively, I will go with the Dumps if my concerns can be eased with others opinions/experiences.

I have watched probably hours worth of exhaust clips on Youtube over the course of time I've been considering a new exhaust, and videos do not do justice most of the time. So any input is appreciated, and I hope I provided enough information as to what I am looking for. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

By saying "dumps" and adding "at the bumper" I'm assuming you are talking about gt style tail pipes with the turndowns at the end? Granted, I may be wrong here, but my crowd always called dumps no tailpipes with turndowns in front of the axle... I can say I've never owned an aero gt that needed that style pipe, but I can't imagine the sound being much different than an lx style tailpipe with a stainless tip. :shrug:

If you like mac mufflers, buy mac. It seems that the sound is pretty important to you, so in my opinion, buy what you know you like. All chambered mufflers resonate to a point with the exception of the valved one( name is slipping me, dynomax vt I think).. The only way to get away from that is a straight thru style like magnaflows, and they have a different sound. So- take your pick.

My .02.

Reactions: 1 users
By saying "dumps" and adding "at the bumper" I'm assuming you are talking about gt style tail pipes with the turndowns at the end

For clarification to you and others, that is correct. I guess I came off as sort of partial to Mac, but I really am keeping my options open here because all I have ever had on this car is the Mac setup that is currently on it. I bought the car with no exhaust on it ten years ago. The engines in these cars (and Windsor engines in general) have their own unique sound and the Dumps, to me, just seem to accentuate that sound. I don't know a lot of people with fox bodies, so it really makes it harder when I really can't listen to it in person and compare one setup to another. If it helps to be more vague, I really just want the crisp deep throaty sound, putting the resonation aside as it is not a dealbreaker. The dealbreaker for me would be exhaust fumes coming in the car, hence the reason I haven't already bought the Dumps. Thanks for the input!

Just buy a nice cat back system. This way you'll get the sound and exhaust fumes out from under the car. I personally like the Flowmaster "sound". Many don't. If you want something that sounds deep/loud at wot but mild at cruise rpm, check out the Dynomax vt series. Magnaflow,Bassani, and a few others are nice mufflers/exhaust systems. It's really a personal preference.

I dumped a set of macs when I installed my 315s. Hated the sound. Was loud, droned horribly, and lost that signature 5.0 sound. Reworked the tails to fit the wider tires and it sounds great again.

I'm a big Flowmaster American Thunder guy. Mac is going to be a little louder than Flowmaster. The other thing you mentioned that really changes how ANY muffler will sound is whether you run an H or an X pipe. X-pipes are louder and give a raspy note. H-pipes will have a deeper more traditional rumble V8 sound. I've had both, real dumps and tail pipes, and it changed the sound a little bit but it was for the better and the fumes were directed away from me so I could breath cleaner air. One thing that helps with exhaust smell is to make sure your hatch and door seals aren't rotted like mine are (soon to be fixed).