Looking to make Real power without Forced Induction

Octuneman

Jul 26, 2019
maryland
Title basically says it. I have a 2001 Mustang GT Automatic. Have a Airaid Cold Air Intake,4.10 gears and slp mufflers installed. Thinking of going stage 3 comp cams for power and classic muscle car sound. Any other mods like certain type of heads or better cam is more than welcome. Anything really.

• Sponsors (?)

Trickflow heads (38cc), aggressive cams to match trickflow heads, headers, midpipe, bigger throttle body, and a tune can give you roughly 330 rwhp range on a stock block.

Personally instead of the N/A route - for real power - I’d go with a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous. Better drivability and bigger gains for buck.

Trickflow heads (38cc), aggressive cams to match trickflow heads, headers, midpipe, bigger throttle body, and a tune can give you roughly 330 rwhp range on a stock block.

Personally instead of the N/A route - for real power - I’d go with a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous. Better drivability and bigger gains for buck.
Thought about supercharging my car. Ive actually spoke to you before but ive done some thinking and am going to prob just cam my car for the nice lope and some extra power and am going to save some money for a boss 302 or a shelby gt500

Full exhaust (LT’s and midpipe of your choice) and a set of cams always sounds good. I ran full boltons for a while (LT’s, midpipe, cutback, intake, TB, intake plenum = 260rwhp) and then added cams to make 289rwhp. Full boltons had the best drivability (smooth like OEM but with more power). Cams added more on the top end with a little sacrifice to drivability (lope is fun but every now and then I killed it at a stop light, hehe).

Finishing off all the boltons (LT’s, midpipe, intake plenum+ 75mm TB) will probably cost about $1200. Most will need help installing the LTs. I’d use stage 8 locking bolts for the headers and new gaskets to prevent leaks.

Comp 270’s are popular for their lope. I’d budget $2000 for a dyno tune, handheld tuner, springs, install, and cams (~1600 if you can do the install yourself).

I’ve been down that road - if cost is a concern but you want the most power, I usually recommend forced induction now a days if you plan on keeping the car. The price / hp is way better. If sound is your priority then about $3200 will get you a nice sounding mustang.

Last edited:
TFS heads + intake, cams, bolt ons as previously mentioned.

More NA power? 5.0 big bore block with more compression and maybe a stroker kit.

Or you can just pop a centri supercharger on it and be done.