low dyno numbers

Green&GoldGT

Aug 1, 2005
Virginia
The shop finished installing Crower Stage 2 cams and valvesprings and running it on the dyno after with no tune it only made 242hp/255tq with the A/F running rich at about 12. I'm going to get it tuned on Friday, but I was wondering if there could be a vacuum leak or if its just because a lack of tune. Will the tune bring the numbers up to at least 275hp and 300tq or is there some kind of mechanical problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes,those are kinda low but what were the test conditions? Hot/cold,humid or dry? What kind of dyno was it? MD or DynoJet ? I've never seen someone pick up 30hp by tuning a mild NA application,maybe 15 or 20 which would still be respectable for a few bolt ons,no headers and cams.

i do think the tune will help out a bit. you dont have many supporting mods so dont expect to see the same numbers as guys that have l/t, pullies, mid pipes, plenums, and all the other bolt ons. i think you will be lucky to see 275rwhp but you should be close to that number.

that being said, i do think your #'s are a little low for sure but the tune should put you in the right spot for your mods.

DropTopPony said:
who installed the cams and were they degreed?

this is the issue that should be adressed here. Improper install w/ the cams not getting degreed properly can leave a lot of power on the table. Sure your car might run fine, but not up to its full potential. Who did the install?

stangGT97 said:
this is the issue that should be adressed here. Improper install w/ the cams not getting degreed properly can leave a lot of power on the table. Sure your car might run fine, but not up to its full potential. Who did the install?
agreed!

The cams were installed at a shop that specializes in mostly 4.6 Mustangs. I'll post up new numbers tomorrow, but I don't know why the torque number is so low and why it was running rich after Stage 2 cams. Should I do a compression test, or is it possible a cylinder isn't firing? The car has 32k miles and I dont drive it hard all the time.

Hmm thats LOW...i serously doubt a tune will fix that, uless those #s were on a mustang dyno and your gettting tuned on a dyno jet.

My car went SUPER lean after my cams...I was idling @ 18-1 A/F lol. Tim couldnt even make a full pull on the first run...

yea My friend just put a turbo in his 4.6 with a 70mm throttle body and plenum and running 10psi w/o a tune he is making 300Hp to the rear wheels... That seems a lil low to me too. What do you guys think?
I though he would be in the 400hP range..

Green&GoldGT said:
The shop finished installing Crower Stage 2 cams and valvesprings and running it on the dyno after with no tune it only made 242hp/255tq with the A/F running rich at about 12. I'm going to get it tuned on Friday, but I was wondering if there could be a vacuum leak or if its just because a lack of tune. Will the tune bring the numbers up to at least 275hp and 300tq or is there some kind of mechanical problem?

Below I quoted your signature, and I did this for a reason.

Green&GoldGT said:
Crower Stage 2 cams, SCT XCAL 2, Flowmasters, MAC O/R H pipe, MAC CAI, Steeda front Springs, Tri-Ax Shifter, FRPP 4.10s, Chin Spoiler, Silver Bullitts 17x9, 17x10.5, Nitto Drag Radials, Lakewood LCAs with action lift bars, Eibach rear drag springs w/ airbag, Alloy USA 28 spline axles, FRPP Subframes

If that dyno is a Mustang Dyno, your untuned numbers are not to bad. You don't really have a lot of mods right now to make some high HP numbers. All you have is an exhaust, a CAI and cams with a tune that is not optimized.

After your tune, if that is a mustang dyno, I would not expect you to make over 255 RWHP. You might make 275 on a DynoJet, but right now, I would rather know what dyno you used to get those numbers.