Fox Lower intake bolt snapped off.

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
As I was removing my lower intake the front left bolt snapped. The thing was so corroded it looked like a crispy french fry (see pic below). I'm horrible at extracting bolts, so it this a big issue if I can't get this bolt all the way out? I need some new arp hardware stat.

20200114_192618.jpg

20200114_192717.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

There are a couple ways to get it out...depends on how much is sticking up.

You want to take off the alternator bracket to give some more room. Clean as much of the crud as you can from around the base of that bolt. Soak it with penetrating oil. Heat it up with a MAP gas torch ( pretty cheap at local stores....yellow bottle )Get a 12 point socket that's a little small and tap it on the broken bolt part. Tap that flat part of the head with a hammer a couple times. Try and turn what's left out. You can also clean it up and weld a nut on top of it. Drilling is an option but is a PITA.

I zoomed in and see it's just about flush. Drilling is the only option. Make sure the bit stays straight.

These things have worked for me.

Screenshot_20200114-202651_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
It looks like you have a spot to start drilling where the drill won’t walk. Go slow, take your time, and plenty of penetrating oil first. You’ll get it.

Dimple the top of that bolt with punch and start a small hole. Maybe a 1/16 of an inch deep.

Soak it in break free and heat with a torch being sure nothing else is in the way. Let it cool.

Rinse and repeat a few times.

Put your punch into the whole you made and smack the :poo: out of it.

Soak, heat, cool. Drill your hole appropriate to the size extractor you require:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the tips guys, I will try those this weekend. Someone on facebook mentioned reverse drill bits? Would that be a good option. Heres a better up close pic of the bolts. A lot of gunk built up around it

20200114_202045.jpg

I’m not going to lie, and no disrespect, but It worries me when I hear you asking if it matters if the whole thing comes out. If you’re not comfortable with this..... you may want to get some help. I’d rather see you get it done right, than ruin your motor.

Thanks for the tips guys, I will try those this weekend. Someone on facebook mentioned reverse drill bits? Would that be a good option. Heres a better up close pic of the bolts. A lot of gunk built up around it

20200114_202045.jpg

I prefer straight flute because you can turn the bolt in both directions. It's a huge help when trying to work one out that's held in by rust and corrosion.

The reverse type also work but if you strip it, you have to go to the next size etc...

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not going to lie, and no disrespect, but It worries me when I hear you asking if it matters if the whole thing comes out. If you’re not comfortable with this..... you may want to get some help. I’d rather see you get it done right, than ruin your motor.

Haha I know, I'm still a novice at all of this. Luckily my cousin (a mechanic by trade, knows what he's doing) helps me a lot. I do the basic things myself while I learn and when I hit a road block like this I ask the forum/facebook what to do. If its complicated after that he helps.

Yeah, this is just banging on chit to get unstick it. :D

My first 4 years in the Air Force, I thought a machinist was someone that removed stuck fasteners. :rlaugh:

My jaw dropped when I met my first real machinist. LoL

Reactions: 3 users
Damn. That's gonna be a tough one.

Clean that area up, stuff the ports with towels, give yourself some room and start soaking it in pen fluid. Center punch it and start drilling. Be careful not to break the drill bit off inside if you start with a smaller pilot size bit.

I dont know if it'll be possible but i've welded a nut on top of whats exposed. The heat from welding also helps. If you have a tig welder you will have more control but i've done it with a mig

Last edited:
I dont know if it'll be possible but i've welded a nut on top of whats exposed. The heat from welding also helps. If you have a tig welder you will have more control but i've done it with a mig

I think this is the option my cousin and I will try first. Hopefully I get a chance in the next week or so to work on it. Fingers crossed it comes out

This is a thread everyone should log into memory. I'm very limited on money so I totally understand not buying new bolts most of the time. But let's all face it. Our cars, and fasteners, are old and brittle. Kinda like the way my knees feel! Anyway, good, new bolts should be considered a must have more than we all think. Or we can deal with a situation like this. Good luck on the repair. Hope it comes out on the first try.