Lowering questions

dirttoo

May 27, 2006
Illinois
OK guys, I have my first Mustang, It's a 1999 GT convertible with a 5 speed. 80k miles. Original shocks and struts. I want to lower it and replace the shocks and struts and sway bar bushings. I see some springs are not for convertibles? Can someone recommend lowering springs, shocks and struts for my needs? I don't care about name brands but I don't want junk. Not trying to break the bank either. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

56 views and not one reply? I thought sure one of you had lowered your car. Is there a more active Mustang message board I can ask on?

The Ford "G" springs are specifically for convertibles...

If you are looking for something specific in spring rates or for some sort of competition, I recommend calling Maximum Motorsports for their advice/recommendation.

All of the Ford Racing springs (B, C and G) will work with convertibles. The G springs lower the car more than the B and C springs, especially up front. The G and B springs are progressive, and the C springs are linear.

Lowering our cars too much makes them handle worse for performance driving. Many people like the look of a very low Mustang, but you end up running out of suspension travel in performance driving situations. You will also need a bump steer kit if you lower the car too much.

I used Ford Racing C springs on my 2000 GT convertible autocross car, with poly spring isolators. It only sits about .5" lower than stock up front.

If you plan on doing any performance driving, it's a good idea to get adjustable shocks and struts. Installing stiffer, non-adjustable shocks and struts along with springs that are too low will make the car understeer or oversteer when driven hard.

It is very easy to make these cars handle worse by making them too low and too stiff.

Dirttoo,
I have a 1997 Cobra, and it had lowering springs on it when I purchased the car. I never had a sports car before, so I'm not used to a stiff ride. I don't know anything about the springs, except they are from Germany, and they are green. I also know that the ride is really stiff, I can feel every bump in the road. Like I said, I never had a sports car, but I don't really like the stiff ride. My cousin suggested air ride, I'm seriously thinking about it. I was told they would make the ride much smoother. I don't race the car or anything, just occasional use in nice weather. Anyone have any suggestions?

It really depends on personal prefence and taste. I have h&r springs without isos, Maximum Motorsports caster camber adjuster plates,Maximum Motorsports rear control arms,bump steer kit,subframe connectors and poly bushings. It is low but not a harsh ride at all.

Attachments

• 20200522_150957.jpg
    20200522_150957.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 204