Lowering spring W

• Sponsors (?)

Ok thank you I’ll check it out... budget wise I’d like to get it done for 500-600 hopefully as can do all labor my-(our)self... I’m really more of the helper lol
I know this will shock you but you need to throw more money at it than your estimate...lol. Coilovers...no way for that budget. Koni STR.T's and a set of H&R sport springs....close. As posted, the Maximum Motorsports coilover kit is the only one I'd be comfortable with. Keep us posted on what you do and how it rides. We like to hear results.
Btw....Coilovers are more than just the kit. The reason the price tag goes way up is you must have other items to work along with them. Caster camber plates are a must. Rear lower shock mounts also a must according to MM. And the kits require a specific shock/strut to work. All added up and it's quite a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I know this will shock you but you need to throw more money at it than your estimate...lol. Coilovers...no way for that budget. Koni STR.T's and a set of H&R sport springs....close. As posted, the Maximum Motorsports coilover kit is the only one I'd be comfortable with. Keep us posted on what you do and how it rides. We like to hear results.
Btw....Coilovers are more than just the kit. The reason the price tag goes way up is you must have other items to work along with them. Caster camber plates are a must. Rear lower shock mounts also a must according to MM. And the kits require a specific shock/strut to work. All added up and it's quite a bit.
What would you guys suggest having a stock setup? Say $1000-$1200 budget...?

You can do just front only for coil overs. MM recommends against rear coil overs unless your front springs are 300# or more. Street cruiser type setups are 250-275#. I run front coil overs only, and rear H&R springs.

How much to put a setup together?

Front
MM C/C plates MMCC7989 $210
MM Coil over front kit MMCO-24 $227
Coil over springs 250# $68 x 2 (these are all over Ebay for $20/spring)
MM Street spec Bilstiens MMD-FC10ST1 $276 x 2

Rear
H&R springs (which ones depend on model and front spring weight) $150/pair
Bilstien HD BE5-6418-H4 $115x2

So a bare bones simple C/O setup from MM would run you $1505 or so. You can save some cash if you buy used springs, or purchase through LMR taking advantage of discount codes or wait until Xmas when MM runs specials on the weekends.

Now, if you wanted to run a conventional spring/shock setup.

Set of Bilstien HD's F&R BIL-6 $636
Set of appropriate H&R springs F&R $ 250
MM C/C plates MMCC7989 $210 (recommended on lowered cars)

Looking at $1096 if bought direct from max motorsports. Cheaper if you substitute the Kont STR.T's which are $360 for the full set knocking almost $300 off.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
You can do just front only for coil overs. MM recommends against rear coil overs unless your front springs are 300# or more. Street cruiser type setups are 250-275#. I run front coil overs only, and rear H&R springs.

Front

Rear

So a bare bones simple C/O setup from MM would run you $1505 or so. You can save some cash if you buy used springs, or purchase through LMR taking advantage of discount codes or wait until Xmas when MM runs specials on the weekends.

Looking at $1096 if bought direct from max motorsports. Cheaper if you substitute the Kont STR.T's which are $360 for the full set knocking almost $300 off.
Good post, Mike. I'm gonna screenshot it for my suspension folder...lol. Yes, I keep everything. You should keep it ready to cut and paste in every suspension question and boom, we're done. :p:D

Keep in mind, that was bare minimum. For example, with the front C/O's and rear spring setup, you are unable to adjust the rear ride height unless you purchase a set of adjustable rear control arms.

And as always, i highly recommend subframe connectors.

Is there $700 worth of better handling in your first setup scenario vs the stock type with H&R’s and Koni’s?
If so how should I go about deciding exactly what spring rates for my car..., i suppose asking MM is obvious answer..thanks guys... are coil overs any better than conventional setup as far as “drag” racing goes??

Front

Rear

Is there $700 worth of better handling in your first setup scenario vs the stock type with H&R’s and Koni’s?
If so how should I go about deciding exactly what spring rates for my car..., i suppose asking MM is obvious answer..thanks guys... are coil overs any better than conventional setup as far as “drag” racing goes??

$700 worth of difference? Depends on who you ask. I'd say yes.
Not only is handling better, but so is ride quality and the ability to adjust the height.

The next part of your question is kinda confusing when you ask, "are coil overs better for drag racing"? You previously asked if there is $700 worth of better handling...
You have to pick one, you are not getting both.
Typically, the better the car handles, the worse it runs the quarter mile.
A drag racer would run like a 150lb spring (which handles awful)
A regular street driver would probably run a 250lb spring
And a road racer 300lb and up.

Yeah, the answer to that question really all depends on what you intending to do with the car. Drag, street, handling.

You'll need to pick which one you want the most. If drag is what you are after, that's an entirely different setup with softer springs and different struts/shocks

$700 worth of difference? Depends on who you ask. I'd say yes.
Not only is handling better, but so is ride quality and the ability to adjust the height.

The next part of your question is kinda confusing when you ask, "are coil overs better for drag racing"? You previously asked if there is $700 worth of better handling...
You have to pick one, you are not getting both.
Typically, the better the car handles, the worse it runs the quarter mile.
A drag racer would run like a 150lb spring (which handles awful)
A regular street driver would probably run a 250lb spring
And a road racer 300lb and up.

Touché, sorry about that I didn’t mean to it sound that way, car is 90% street, a better ride/stance is what I’m after I suppose, not really handling so I suppose question should be is coilover superior or inferior to stock setup as far as weight transfer, or affect traction or anything i should know from someone who does...What would you guys suggest for a car that’s pretty much not raced..I mostly want comfortable spring rates as car is not that fast so I doubt springs will help or hurt my 7 sec 1/8 times

Depends on who you ask i would supposed. I've run a few spring combo's on my car before going coil over. I won't go back now.

However it's tough for me to tell someone if the extra $700-800 is worth it. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, or the discipline to just save up the extra cash, then just go for it. However if you are trying to budget where to put your funds, then that extra money would be MUCH better spend going toward a set of SFC's if you don't already have them.

I love spending other people's money, but i can get carried away when i do that.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm assuming you have the subframe connectors already.
If you read up on MM's website they explain why the location of the stock front springs is a poor design.
I, like mike, have run multiple sets of stock style springs. And I agree, i'm not going back.
Just makes everything so much better, ride quality, spring swaps are easy, as is working on the rest of the suspension related parts in the front (springs are like $75 a set and come off in like 5 minutes). Ride height is adjustable.
If you don't ever want to buy anything ever again (other than springs), get mm cc plates, their coil overs and a set of shocks that fit them.
Start with a 250lb spring (I run a 275lb and have been happy with that) and whatever h&r rear spring mm suggest, I forget which set I have.

If that's not in the budget, buy piece by piece until you have it all.

I'm assuming you have the subframe connectors already.
If you read up on MM's website they explain why the location of the stock front springs is a poor design.
I, like mike, have run multiple sets of stock style springs. And I agree, i'm not going back.
Just makes everything so much better, ride quality, spring swaps are easy, as is working on the rest of the suspension related parts in the front (springs are like $75 a set and come off in like 5 minutes). Ride height is adjustable.
If you don't ever want to buy anything ever again (other than springs), get mm cc plates, their coil overs and a set of shocks that fit them.
Start with a 250lb spring (I run a 275lb and have been happy with that) and whatever h&r rear spring mm suggest, I forget which set I have.

If that's not in the budget, buy piece by piece until you have it all.

Ok so I’m good to go coilover in front for now? , what all do I need to buy?theres a complete kit I suppose.. I’d really like to go to tubular front control arms too...it pulls hard to the right even though I’ve had a competent front end man tell me that’s as “straight” as he can get it.. I’m thinking there’s a front passenger side control arm bent as it’s pulled like that for a long time ,it was hit on that corner pretty good a long time ago plus car was down for a few years.. frankly while it was “just” a driver I guess I kinda got use to it but now drives me crazy you guys are the exact guys I need to give me advice as you’ve already had multiple setups.. only makes sense to do it right the first time, however I can’t afford 5 lug swap or better brakes just yet... wanted to get suspension ironed out first thank you for all your help and please let me know what you’d go with if you were me lol

Front

Rear

I guess this is my answer .... 250# front springs what you guys would recommend? Although I’m sure someone at MM will help me figure the particulars out..., stay away from eBay kits I’m guessing?? I’ve had good and bad luck with some stuff but when it comes to important moving parts I’ve learned eBay is not where to go!