Lowering Springs And Tire Recommendations

doublediz

Feb 22, 2015
Hi All,

So, I'm looking at lowering my 85 GT vert that I recently purchased and want to replace the tires since the last owner decided to cut the front coils and put tall tires on the rear giving it an ugly stance. Looking at Ford racing B-springs and using 225/50R16 in the front and 245/50R16 in the rear. Thinking I should be good on rubbing issues right? Other spring option I have been looking at are the BBK springs, just want the car to have an even stance not that rake look. What do you experts recommend? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

What about regards to handling and ride? I am running H&R Road and Track springs, with 245/45/17's, have no rub, and the car sits level. Also consider it would be good for alignment if you put on a set of CC plates as well (I am running MM plates, they are very nice).

X2 on the MM cc plates! They are almost mandatory once you lower these cars IMO. Op you wouldn't have any problems running that combo of parts fwiw.

Yeah I agree with MM plates and do plan on getting them as well. As far as handling and ride quality, I'm not too worried about it as this car is more of a weekend cruiser and it's an automatic so I won't exactly be flying around corners lol, that't what my Mazda3 daily driver is for :).

Ford B springs WILL give your car a rake.

Attachments

• stangout1.jpg
    stangout1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 248
If you're running the stock 16 inch pony wheels I'd stick with with either the stock 225/55/16, or 245/50/16 all the way around (with rack limiters if you're worried about rubbing). For such a small difference in tire size, it's not worth losing the ability to rotate from front to back by staggering them.

I used to run 245's all the way around on my last fox with abou 1/2" drop and it only rubbed ever so slightly (and even then, only in reverse) with no limiters.

If you're running the stock 16 inch pony wheels I'd stick with with either the stock 225/55/16, or 245/50/16 all the way around (with rack limiters if you're worried about rubbing). For such a small difference in tire size, it's not worth losing the ability to rotate from front to back by staggering them.

I used to run 245's all the way around on my last fox with abou 1/2" drop and it only rubbed ever so slightly (and even then, only in reverse) with no limiters.

I'd like to run 245/50R16's all the way around but I keep hearing that they rub on the front since the 85 fox's have the smaller wheel wells than the later fox's

A 245 50 16 is taller than a 225 50 16.
It will be noticeable.
Back in the day when people used 16's, they would use 225 50 16 in the front and 245 45 16 in the back. Not sure if they make that rear size anymore.

Me personally, I would just find new wheels and at least use a 17. You don't want to go and buy new tires then decide the wheels aren't big enough. Wheels are dirt cheap now. They cost less than the tires do.

Reactions: 1 user
A 245 50 16 is taller than a 225 50 16.
It will be noticeable.
Back in the day when people used 16's, they would use 225 50 16 in the front and 245 45 16 in the back. Not sure if they make that rear size anymore.

Me personally, I would just find new wheels and at least use a 17. You don't want to go and buy new tires then decide the wheels aren't big enough. Wheels are dirt cheap now. They cost less than the tires do.
Yeah, the "box store" like lafemodel restor and American Muscle have some quite a few 17" wheel/tire package deals that are fairly reasonable. As for the springs, I only have experience w eibach sportlines and the ford racing b's and hands down I choose the b's. If I were to ever purchase another mustsng it's getting the ford racing progressive b springs. It's a nice compromise between chuckwagon and Cadillac.

Id put a coilover on it and you can get he height exactly where you want it and not be stuck to a certain spring rate. Also, coilovers are much easier to swap out if needed, the factory style spring is too dangerous to be messing with all the time.

Id put a coilover on it and you can get he height exactly where you want it and not be stuck to a certain spring rate. Also, coilovers are much easier to swap out if needed, the factory style spring is too dangerous to be messing with all the time.

This. You can substitute adjustable-height LCA's in back but nevertheless, if you install adjustability you'll be way ahead of the guys who say "gee, that's a lot of money, I think I'll just install these springs...those didn't work, I'll try these....dangit I can't get it level, I'll try these ones...".

image.jpg
image.jpg
This is mine with the coilovers in front. I actually like the "raked" look and have team z drag springs in back. These are slightly lower than stock. Front tire is turned in pic so looks weird. I can adjust the front up and down And set the ride stiffness. I have almost 400 miles on new setup and love it.