Lowering your car by cutting the stock springs

richcymru1

Jul 16, 2005
i got a 2003 mustang gt, and a year ago i put lowering springs on my car but it only lowered the car about an inch but i want it alot lower. does anybody know how much to cut off on the stock springs to lower the car 2-2.5 inches. thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

well it all depends on the springs on how much you want to cut...i'd start with half a coil on each spring and work your way to more if necessary...

the front springs, you want to cut the bottom coil of the spring not the top...

the rear springs you want to cut the top of the spring not the bottom. This is because you want to keep the pigtail in the rear springs, that's what helps it stay in place on your lower control arms.

I used a dremel with a metal cutting wheel, works like a champ!

03ghoststang said:
i wouldnt recommend cutting your springs but you can take the spring isolators out that should give you a 1/2 more of a drop

I've been driving around with my drag springs cut 2.5 coils for a while now no problem...

On lowering springs though, you don't really want to remove more than a full coil, that's when you'll start changing the spring rates.

on the rear springs, the part that you cut is just the upper spring mount, so that should have no adverse affects.

on the fronts, half a coil from the bottom, shouldn't change the rate one bit.

well, these are to the stock springs so if they ride really bad or are to low, i can just put the current ones back in there, so i don't really do any damage, and me and my buddy are doing the work, so it won't cost anyhting if i decide to put the current springs back in.

richcymru1 said:
well, these are to the stock springs so if they ride really bad or are to low, i can just put the current ones back in there, so i don't really do any damage, and me and my buddy are doing the work, so it won't cost anyhting if i decide to put the current springs back in.

then go ahead and do it and the way they mentioned above is the way you will have to cut the springs

I second the above post. I've ridden in several cars with cut springs, some of which were supposedly a very subtle amount cut off. Each one of them was disturbingly bouncy, sort of like riding a bicycle over traintracks. I couldn't stand it, I'm far too picky about comfort, but it may be acceptable for you.

What about some of those maxspeed or matrix springs on ebay like 100bucks or so to your door. Both are suppose to be a 2" drop. Now keep in mind going that low CC plates are REALLY needed. along with a bunch of other things.

BooWFO said:
What about some of those maxspeed or matrix springs on ebay like 100bucks or so to your door. Both are suppose to be a 2" drop. Now keep in mind going that low CC plates are REALLY needed. along with a bunch of other things.
There's a reason why you dont see many people with those springs, and one of them is they don't want to admit it :rlaugh:

to the thread starter: save up and buy good springs with the right ride height you want.

tomustang said:
There's a reason why you dont see many people with those springs, and one of them is they don't want to admit it :rlaugh:

to the thread starter: save up and buy good springs with the right ride height you want.
Yeah I know but seems like he is trying to get by on a tight budget. Cut springs will cause problems in the long run. Trust me been around lowriders WAY too much.
BTW Tom Have you thought of posting a good thread on suspension setups and what all is needed for the different heights and etc.?

BooWFO said:
BTW Tom Have you thought of posting a good thread on suspension setups and what all is needed for the different heights and etc.?
No because everyone has biased opinions and there's so many setups out there. For different heights it depends how low you want to go with the springs, too low you'll need specific lowering shocks/struts and a bumpsteer kit to level with the LCA's

And besides there's always this site http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/ I only skimmed some of it but it gets great recommendations

Just sell the ones you bought and don't like on EBay and pick up lower ones like H&Rs or Eibach Sportlines and be done with it. No guess work and should work better.

Just make sure you buy some C&C Plates. You will definitely need them if you don't have them already. Otherwise gonna burn your tires up. Trust me.

tomustang said:
No because everyone has biased opinions and there's so many setups out there. For different heights it depends how low you want to go with the springs, too low you'll need specific lowering shocks/struts and a bumpsteer kit to level with the LCA's

And besides there's always this site http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/ I only skimmed some of it but it gets great recommendations

:nice:

thats going in the 'Ette Tech Article archive :nice:

sgarlic said:
I second the above post. I've ridden in several cars with cut springs, some of which were supposedly a very subtle amount cut off. Each one of them was disturbingly bouncy, sort of like riding a bicycle over traintracks. I couldn't stand it, I'm far too picky about comfort, but it may be acceptable for you.

Exactly, as seen by the bouncy riding-on-the-bumpstops stance that most Honduh ricer cars have...

Cutting springs, or "heating" them until they are lower is ghetto, and very tacky when the car bounces all over the road like a rubber ball...:rlaugh: