M-2300-K '94 - '95 Suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just called around and they say that the '94 - '95 struts and shocks are taller then the 87 -93 struts and shocks. They won't raise the height of the vehicle they just wont let the car go down as low. They claim they fit just fine. I guess it makes sense though. You put in 94 spindles you should have the 94 struts. Ya know? Im gonna go buy some KYB GR-2 Struts and shocks and see how it works! I think it'll stop my rubbing problems. If not, atleast i got new shocks rather then my old stock worn out ones too.

Stick with Fox Struts for your Car as you have more Travel. I have Bullitt Struts, Shocks, and Springs on my Car, but the SN95 Spindle is mounted a little lower than the Stock Fox and I have MM CC Plates so I have gained back enough travel to keep from bottoming out my Struts, your issue is your Springs or youe Wheel and Tire Combo.

• Sponsors (?)

you mean wider...lol

Both, isn't it? I believe the 40 in the tire size is the aspect ratio, which would mean that 245/40 would be (nominally) 245mm wide, while the sidewall would be 245x40%. A 265/40 is going to be 265x40%. So, wider and taller?

I'm running 18x9s, 245/40, '95 spindles, and Fox struts on my '89, with Eibach Sportlines - low & stiff. It rubbed in front at first on bumps & corners, just on the plastic inner fenders. Eventually it wore enough plastic off that they rarely rub any more :D

New struts will actually lift the front a bit, esp. with a lighter car. I put new KYBs on my '79 (<2800 lbs), looks like a 4x4 now. Springs are stockers, tall and soft. That plus the light weight of the car = lift kit. :mad:

Shaker hood, my 91 stock struts are allowing more travel. Thats the problem. I dont want more travel, because its allow my car to go down far enough to rub my tires. My tires and rims are no bigger then my ponys. I measured that way i speedo wouldn't be off. Its all cause the lower 94 spindle is allow my car to travel down further with my stock struts. see what im saying. I dont want more travel, i want less. That way my car can't go down enough to rub my tires.

Struts have ZERO influence in the way the car sits. All the struts do is control alignment and dampen the impact of a bump. That's it. Changing struts will not do a thing for the way your car sits. There are no springs inside or anything that would lift the car. If you mount the strut higher, the car just pushes the strut shaft into the body more that's all. You could mount 50 different struts on the car and it will always be the same (within tolerances)

Ride height is controled by the springs only, so if you want to lift the car, you gotta change the spring.

Shaker hood, my 91 stock struts are allowing more travel. Thats the problem. I dont want more travel, because its allow my car to go down far enough to rub my tires. My tires and rims are no bigger then my ponys. I measured that way i speedo wouldn't be off. Its all cause the lower 94 spindle is allow my car to travel down further with my stock struts. see what im saying. I dont want more travel, i want less. That way my car can't go down enough to rub my tires.

Then you need to change your struts to a set that is matched to your springs. That way they dampen the bump and prevent the wheel from traveling up into the fender.

You can't physically stop the wheel. I mean you can, but it's not a good idea. If you start bottoming out your strut, you will have one hell of a rough ride not ot mention put some serious stress on your shock towers.

What you need to find is a strut that is matched to stop the travel before it puts your wheel up into your fender or bottoms out.

You still want to use 87-93 struts as they will allow more travel up into the fender, but you want the dampening of the strut to prevent that...not the actual strut body if you can understand it when put like that.

If you are bottoming out that much then perhaps the stock struts are blown and are too loose. A nice set of adjustable struts like Tokico or Strange will allow you to tune how firm you want it.

But, you still want to get 87-93 struts.

Up front im running 18's with 245's. And its lowered with Eibach springs with BBK camber/caster plates. But my neighbor has the same set up and his doesn't rub. Hes got KYB GR-2 Struts. I copyed his tire wheel suspension setup ha. So what would happen if i put on the 94 -95 struts and shocks? anything

If your neighbour is running the exact same setup (except for the struts) with no rubbing, then obviously you need to swap your stockers out, which are probably shot anyway. An adjustable shock, i.e. one that can be made stiffer, could mean the difference between rubbing and not rubbing. A stock shock just isn't meant to operate on a lowered vehicle. You're going to have to upgrade your shocks sooner or later, so before spending money on some other springs, buy the shocks first and see where you're at.

I know it wont effect my height of the car. All struts do is stop your car from going down to far. And right now my tires are rubbing. So i want to limit the strut movement so that my car will not go down enough to rub my tires. Now if the 94 struts will not allow my car to go down far enough to rub my tires, then thats what i want. But if you can get 87 - 93 struts that will not allow the car to go down that far, i would want those too.

Okay forget about the post above.

So like a set of KYB AGX Adjustable struts and shocks. Then just turn the dial until its stiff enough to stop the rubbing. Drive it a little see if it rubs, adjust it, then drive again see if it rubs. That way? So if i set it stiff enough i might be able to stop the rubbing?

struts do NOT "keep your car from going down too far". they keep your car from bouncing. you are NOT supposed to bottom out the struts. if you do, then they are either worn out or not the correct length.

yes, the 87-93 and 94-04 struts have different rod lengths and travel distances.
this is NOT what should be used to keep your car from rubbing the tires.

stiffer springs or stiffer struts or both is what you need

stiffer springs might possibly not give you the lowering amount that you want

so just go and get 87-93 STIFF struts, or adjustable ones that can be made stiff.

Okay forget about the post above.

So like a set of KYB AGX Adjustable struts and shocks. Then just turn the dial until its stiff enough to stop the rubbing. Drive it a little see if it rubs, adjust it, then drive again see if it rubs. That way? So if i set it stiff enough i might be able to stop the rubbing?

yes, that should work. kyb gr2's are quite stiff for me but i dont have it lowered so idk. sorry if i was a little harsh earlier.

Well my neighbor with his 86 has the KYB GR-2 Struts and shocks, and hes got the same eibach pro kit lowering springs as me and his still rubs a little. I want to completetly stop the rubbing if its possible. So im hoping that the adjustable KYB AGX's will be able to adjust enough to be stiff as hell ha. OR eibach makes struts and shocks for my car i see too. I'm sure they are a pretty penny though, but do you think they would have the right stopping height then because they are made for the eibach springs? I have the eibach pro kit lower springs in right now. And i just installed them last fall. Im not getting rid of them. I love my stance of my car. I can barely fit my hand between the front tires and fender lip. Thats the exact look i want!

Do you know of anybody who has the Eibach Pro kit Damper kit? It uses the Eibach pro kit springs and then the front struts and shocks made all from eibach. You can actually buy the whole works together. So they are made for each other. You'd think that'd be a better bet. But then again i woulnd't buy them unless i could get a garunette from Eibach company that it doens't rub. any info on that?

But i think the KYB AGX adjustables would be the best, i can adjust them stiff until they stop rubbing. And my alignment guy suggested adjustables too over normal non adjustable. so, but im gonna call Eibach about the pro dampers anyway tomorrow.

But i think the KYB AGX adjustables would be the best, i can adjust them stiff until they stop rubbing. And my alignment guy suggested adjustables too over normal non adjustable. so, but im gonna call Eibach about the pro dampers anyway tomorrow.

Holy crap. How many people have to tell you that struts will have no effect on whether or not you will experience rubbing problems? Your car is lowered, you're running big wheels/tires on a Fox body....it's gonna rub. 94+ struts will only aggrevate this problem. No suspension company will give you a "gauruntte"
that you won't experience rubbing problems, because they know that you very likely WILL experience rubbing to some degree.

Run a smaller wheel and tire combo, raise the ride height a little, try avoiding turns, or accept that THEY'RE GONNA RUB... eventually, whatever they're rubbing on will rub away enough that you won't have to worry about it anymore, anyway. Here's an idea: get out a hammer and a sawzall and fix your rubbing problem like a good hot rodder.

Okay, I'm done.

Everything these Guys have been telling you is correct, the SN95 Struts are just going to make your problems worse, your Tires will rub AND you will probably bottom out on your Struts, thats not good! You are going to have to look at changing your Tire and or Wheels or your Springs, you also might get lucky in that when your front springs were changed out maybe they forgot the isolators which if installed would give you slightly more clearance.

am i the only one that doesnt have issues with 03 cobra struts rubbing? My car is lowered (C Springs), SN95 brake conversion, and 17x9 wheels with 255/40s up front. Nothing rubs.

I must be one of the lucky ones then

Status
Not open for further replies.