m2 front suspension removing strut rods

there is a million replacement m2 suspension kits out there,but most if not all dont use the strut rods.has any one here removed the strut rods and added a wider lower control arm?it would need modifications to the cross member to add suppert for the wider arm.any thoughts on that?
or do you just buy an aftermarket m2 suspension for your m2?

• Sponsors (?)

I think 429MII has done this to his for big block clearance.
Check his thread out.

I got new upper / lower arms from speedway to just replace the stock stuff.
Also got midolene bushing kit for my front end rebuild.

Reactions: 1 user
I rebuilt mine back to stock with the original strut rods. I think their only real purpose is for lateral stability when hitting potholes and stuff, but I really have no idea. I wouldn't think it would take much though, probably just a sleeve for the crossmember to make sure it doesn't collapse or otherwise give way, maybe some reinforcements to the bolt holes, but that might be about all you need. :shrug:

Well, that and properly fitting LCAs.....

Reactions: 1 users
In addition to the lateral stability LILCBRA mentions, the strut rods are what set the alignment caster angle. When you delete those, you're supposed to weld in a set of gussets to stabilize the end of the wide tubular arm since it and its sleeves stick out a good bit from the stock mounting location. A lot of the aftermarket-II cross-members have those gussets built in (or have a wider mount for the tubular arm) so it's a no-brainer to install the tubular arms.

On an actual II, or on a swapped suspension from a II, you'd have to weld in the gussets and use sleeves to properly locate the arm. I don't really care for that myself as you completely lose adjustability (not that the stock strut rods allow a lot of adjustment, but aftermarket strut rods do) and because welding in the gusset (and the length of the provided non-adjustable sleeves) typically sets the caster at near zero degrees (stock is not that, too lazy to get the spec) and once you weld 'em in, that's where they're staying - even if you don't care for the effect on your steering (which may or may not be significant).

So after all that, I just went with tubulars that support the strut rod, I think that's the best compromise unless you need to remove the strut rods for clearance.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
thanks,i can see it both ways.this is more of a drag car project for down the road.
i do have another question about the m2, is the vin stamping under the front fenders?the dash is gone and no sticker on the door,so where do i look for it?
It's been a while, but I think there's a "wing" on the driver side that would be under the fender when it's mounted that has the VIN number.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I’ve never been under a Mustang II front end (on purpose or by accident), and I do not have access to a TRW catalog, I have a suspension question. Is the strut rod similar on design and function to the, say, 68 front suspension design, only appropriately sized? I am familiar with the hot rod kits, but not the stock designs. The 79 Mustang introduced the modified McPherson strut. But stripped of the fenders and suspension, even the Falcon getting so much new metal looks very similar in design.

Last edited:
You are right, the lower control arm design with a strut rod is very similar to 68 Mustang (1st gen in general). Biggest difference is that the strut rod is pointing backwards instead of forward. Some people would call that a dissolved or disintegrated double wishbone control arm. The upper control arm is in 1st and 2nd generation a "true" double wishbone control arm.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
its a hot rod!no motor or trans,full tubbed with 9 inch and 14x32s.no dash or vin that i can find,was a drag car for years so thats what they did!

IMG_2809.jpg

tfurdyrd.jpg

From that shot of the engine bay I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's nothing anywhere. Unless Ford stamped the VIN somewhere else that I'm not aware of.... :shrug:

Yep, if it's where I'm thinking, it would've been on the rail that the fender mounts to. Since that rail is gone, so is the "flag" or whatever that I'm talking about.