Mac Long tube headers

96pushrod

I think they're a little easier to get off
5 Year Member
May 15, 2018
Savannah
So I’m looking for some fairly affordable long tube 1 3/4 x 3in collector headers for a sn95, and the choices are pretty slim. For the power I’ll be making they have to be at least this big. They’re going on a 347 with a 5 speed, tfs 205 11r heads.

I’ve got my eye on some ceramic Mac long tubes and pro chamber exhaust that I’m thinking of going with. I’ve already got $15k into this build and I’m not wanting to break the bank even more on some kooks or custom mades.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Or if anyone has had luck with a certain set of fox body specific long tubes fitting an sn95, I’m all ears.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My 94GT had a 347 with 185 AFR's and went with MAC 1-3/4" Ceramic Long Tubes with 3" Collector into a 3" MAC Prochamber then a MAC 3" Cat Back with 3" Chrome Tips. The ceramic was stout too, low heat and didn't really discolor like I thought. Best exhaust system I had and went through 4 different ones.

Here it is idling (click picture) with a custom Comp cam through that exhaust. It was great sounding. I want to do this same setup on my new 94 project car but with 1-5/8" Long Tubes and 2.5" all the way back.

View: https://flic.kr/p/27fnZaz

Reactions: 1 user
My 94GT had a 347 with 185 AFR's and went with MAC 1-3/4" Ceramic Long Tubes with 3" Collector into a 3" MAC Prochamber then a MAC 3" Cat Back with 3" Chrome Tips. The ceramic was stout too, low heat and didn't really discolor like I thought. Best exhaust system I had and went through 4 different ones.

Here it is idling (click picture) with a custom Comp cam through that exhaust. It was great sounding. I want to do this same setup on my new 94 project car but with 1-5/8" Long Tubes and 2.5" all the way back.

View: https://flic.kr/p/27fnZaz

Awesome, your car sounds great. It sucks the options are so limited for long tubes on our cars.

Looks like I’ll go for the macs. I found the pair plus the pro chamber for $900 shipped.

I remember MAC use to be a big player in the game. Did they go out and if so when. I have always liked their sound and been thinking about getting their long tube for my fox and exhaust as well, just to change it up from flows. My exhaust is beat and all the crap welding over the years makes it look horrible under there. I can’t decide, I love my exhaust sound so I wouldn’t mind sticking with flows again or trying out the MAC exhaust. Listened to some cars with slp, spintech etc but they seem loud as hell. I like a good grumble but not obnoxious.

Be careful buying Mac's used. The individual flanges can warp after multiple heat cycles, making them difficult to install. I found this out 1st hand.

Joe

Be careful buying Mac's used. The individual flanges can warp after multiple heat cycles, making them difficult to install. I found this out 1st hand.

Joe

I’ll defintiely be buying new. I was just curious as to the overall quality of welds, ceramic coating and all that stuff.

I remember MAC use to be a big player in the game. Did they go out and if so when. I have always liked their sound and been thinking about getting their long tube for my fox and exhaust as well, just to change it up from flows. My exhaust is beat and all the crap welding over the years makes it look horrible under there. I can’t decide, I love my exhaust sound so I wouldn’t mind sticking with flows again or trying out the MAC exhaust. Listened to some cars with slp, spintech etc but they seem loud as hell. I like a good grumble but not obnoxious.
That’s how I feel about mine now. I’ve got some equal length short headers now with an x pipe and some 40s. It has a mean sound as is. Has a nice acceleration sound and sounds mean when I let off. I just want to step up to bigger primaries, and since I’ll be pulling the motor it will be a convenient time to do exhaust.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It looks like you've already figured it out, but I'll let you know that I've found through past experience that there are only two differences between Fox and SN95 long tube headers: the EGR port on the passenger side header and the routing of the primary tubes on the driver side.

The difference on the passenger side is negligible. The driver side primaries are routed differently due to the difference in the position of the clutch fork between Fox and SN95s. The clutch fork on the Fox T-5 bellhousing is close to a 9-o'clock position while the SN95 clutch fork is closer to a 7-o'clock position. The primary tubes on Fox-specific long tubes are routed below and to the left of the clutch fork while the SN95-specific long tubes are routed above it. This is why Fox long tubes will not fit a manual SN95.

In your case, I'm assuming you have a beefier transmission you'll be using behind that 347. As long as the setup mimicks that with which it was originally equipped, you'll be fine in terms of fitment.

It looks like you've already figured it out, but I'll let you know that I've found through past experience that there are only two differences between Fox and SN95 long tube headers: the EGR port on the passenger side header and the routing of the primary tubes on the driver side.

The difference on the passenger side is negligible. The driver side primaries are routed differently due to the difference in the position of the clutch fork between Fox and SN95s. The clutch fork on the Fox T-5 bellhousing is close to a 9-o'clock position while the SN95 clutch fork is closer to a 7-o'clock position. The primary tubes on Fox-specific long tubes are routed below and to the left of the clutch fork while the SN95-specific long tubes are routed above it. This is why Fox long tubes will not fit a manual SN95.

In your case, I'm assuming you have a beefier transmission you'll be using behind that 347. As long as the setup mimicks that with which it was originally equipped, you'll be fine in terms of fitment.
Yeah I’m not worried about egr differences as I’ll be going without. The clutch fork clearance was the only part I was worried about.

Yep, got an Astro a5 going behind the 347.